Undergraduate Academic Advising: Faculty of Fine Arts

Course registration for the second term (January to April) of Winter Session 2022/23 continues to be open. Incoming students for January 2023, scroll down to "course registration tips" and "transfer credit" sections on this page.

Open seats! Selected second term courses

Updated November 9: Selected second term courses with open seats are listed below.

Review course descriptions for prerequisites. Some on the list require second year standing and/or permission of the department.

Look up class sections and detailed notes on the course timetable

  • AE314 Intro Community Art Education
  • AHVS121 Understanding Visual Communication  - tutorial (T) section also required
  • AHVS343C Lives of Artists: Gustave Courbet with Melissa Berry
  • AHVS330A Early Arts of South Asia with Melia Belli
  • AHVS362C Critical Issues in Contemporary Art with Allan Antliff
  • AHVS386 Approaches to Collections and Museums with Heng Wu
  • AHVS395 Art History in Action with Catherine Harding
  • AHVS397 Social History of Impressionism with Allan Antliff
  • ANTH200 Cultural and Social Anthropology - tutorial (T) section also required
  • ANTH391 Canadian Visual Culture 
  • ANTH393 Storytelling and Mythmaking 
  • ANTH393 Anthropology of the Future 
  • ANTH393 Indigenous Oral Traditions
  • ANTH393 Indigenous Visions on Sustainabilty
  • ART151 Intro to Contemporary Visual Art with Laura Dutton
  • COM250 Fundamentals of Marketing - online format
  • EDCI208 Studio Piano Class I (A05)
  • EDCI308 Studio Piano Class II
  • GRS200 Greek and Roman Mythology
  • GRS204 Ancient World on Film
  • ENGL147 Literary Traditions - online format
  • FA101 Creative Being with Peter Sandmark - tutorial (T) section also required
  • HSTR110 Conquest and Encounter in the Atlantic World
  • IED379 Indigenous Environmental Activism and Education with Lauren Jerke
  • MUS116 Music Appreciation with Anita Bonkowski - online format
  • MUS391 Pop Music with Patrick Boyle
  • PSYC100B  Intro Psychology II - online or face to face section available 
  • SOCI100B Intro Sociology: Understanding Contemporary Society - tutorial (T) section also required
  • SPAN305A Soccer, Culture and Society in the Hispanic World - online format
  • THEA150 Public Speaking with Amanda Lisman or Jeffrey Renn
  • THEA132B* Intro to Applied Theatre II with Kirsten Sadeghi-Yetka
  • THEA235B* Drama in Education with Yasmine Kandil
  • THEA335B* Socially Engaged Theatre with Yasmine Kandil
  • THEA344A* Land and Object-Based Dramaturgy with Monique Mojica
  • WRIT321 Digital Magazine Journalism with David Beers (The Tyee)

*The Theatre department invites non-theatre students to contact the department at theatre@uvic.ca for permission to register.

Use your online tools page to access:

Contact the student support services team in the Office of the Registrar for help with course registration, accessing your records, exams, room bookings, forms and appeals: studentsupport@uvic.ca or (250) 721-8121.

Need help with a course in progress or an assignment? Consult your course instructor by email or during their drop in hours. Find a list of learning resources on the Student Wellness page:https://www.uvic.ca/student-wellness/wellness-resources/academic-supports/index.php#ipn-learning-resources. You can also get help from the course department's main office by asking the administrative assistant or chair/director, depending on your concern. Access the UVic directory for departmental contacts. 

Academic accomodation services are available for eligible students who register with the Centre for Accessible Learning

Got a situation? An unexpected, unavoidable circumstance? For info and instructions about appeals for withdrawals, deferrals, and fees see: https://www.uvic.ca/students/academics/academic-concessions-accommodations/request-for-academic-concession

Planning a Faculty of Fine Arts degree or program

Interested in applying to a Faculty of Fine Arts degree or program? This section is about major programs. Skip to the next section for information about planning a minor.

Prospective (new) students to UVic: If you're applying from high school or another post-secondary you can schedule a personal appointment with a UVic recruiter to discuss any  application or program questions. Use the online booking system or email recruitment@uvic.ca for assistance. See the list of programs and admissions links below.

Returning UVic students | Use My UVic Application
An application to resume studies is required after a leave of one or more years. Any post-secondary studies completed elsewhere must be declared. Returning BMus students may be required to re-audition; contact musicadmin@uvic.ca. Degree and program requirements are subject to change. If you're planning to apply to return to a different program see the list of programs and links below.

Current UVic students: To apply to a Faculty of Fine Arts degree from another UVic faculty or to change from one Faculty of Fine Arts degree to another | Review Deadlines | Use My UVic Application

Music, Theatre, Visual Arts applicants must also refer to the departmental websites linked below for supplementary (audition, portfolio, essay, resume, etc.) application instructions.

Note: If you want to apply to music, theatre or visual arts as part of a degree with a double major in another faculty:

  1. Email the music, theatre or visual arts department by January 31 to explain that you're intending to take their program while registered in another faculty otherwise your supplementary application (see instructions and contact links below) may not be reviewed. Copy fineartsadvising@uvic.ca on your emailed request. Always include your name and V number.

  2. Do not submit an online My UVic Application to change your faculty/program (My UVic Application). Ask your faculty/program academic advising office for program declaration instructions.

Note: The "Admissions" links provided for each program area listed below are only intended for prospective (new) students to UVic. The other links are provided for current and returning students.

Art History and Visual Studies (BA)
Admissions | Program requirements | Worksheet | Departmental website | Department contact
September entry recommended for optimal AHVS course selection (January 31 deadline). Students entering in January may be waitlisted for courses. There are limited AHVS course offerings summers. The department also offers an Honours program.

Music (BMus)
Admissions | Program requirements | Worksheets | Departmental website | Department contact
September entry. Deadline January 31. Core courses offered during winter session (fall/spring). Online UVic application and School of Music audition required. Admission is competitive. Successful completion of MUS courses is not a guarantee of admission. The School offers a choice of six major programs. BMus students take a common first year program before requesting to declare a major. 

Combined Music and Computer Science (BFA/BSc)
Admissions | Program requirements | Worksheet Departmental website | Department contact
September entry. Deadline January 31. Online UVic application and School of Music application/portfolio required. Admission is competitive. Successful completion of CSC, MATH, or MUS courses is not a guarantee of admission. Core music courses offered during winter session (fall/spring). There are limited computer science and math course offerings summers. The admission and program requirements are the same for both degrees. Students may request a change in degree (BSc vs BFA) prior to graduation. 

Theatre (BFA)
Admissions | Program requirements | Worksheets Departmental website |
September entry. Deadline January 31. Core courses offered during winter session (fall/spring). Online UVic application and departmental resume/essay are required (a portfolio is optional). Admission is competitive. Successful completion of THEA courses is not a guarantee of admission. The department offers a choice of seven focus areas. Students take a common first year program before requesting to declare a focus area (interview/audition/minimum GPA may apply). The department also offers a BA Honours in Theatre History with entry after completing Year 2 of the BFA. 

Visual Arts (BFA)
Admissions | Program requirements | Worksheet | Departmental website | Department contact
September entry. Deadline January 31. Core courses offered during winter session (fall/spring). Online application and portfolio required. Admission is competitive. Successful completion of ART courses is not a guarantee of admission. The department also offers an Honours program with entry in Year 4. 

Combined Visual Arts and Computer Science (BFA/BSc)
Admissions | Program requirements | WorksheetDepartmental website | Department contact
September entry. Deadline January 31. Core visual arts courses offered during winter session (fall/spring). Online application and portfolio required. Admission is competitive. Successful completion of ART, CSC, or MATH courses is not a guarantee of admission. There are limited computer science and math course offerings summers. The admission and program requirements are the same for both degrees. Students may request a change in degree (BSc vs BFA) prior to graduation. 

Writing (BA/BFA)
Admissions | Program requirements | WorksheetDepartmental website | Department contact
September entry. Deadline January 31. Core courses offered during winter session (fall/spring). The admission requirements are the same for both degrees. The BFA degree includes 7.5 units of Faculty of Fine Arts electives other than writing courses (choose from AHVS, ART, FA, MUS, THEA, TS courses). Students may request a change in degree prior to graduation.

Transfer students to Writing: Review the advanced standing application process for WRIT 100, Introduction to Writing waivers. The application deadline is April 15. Those who do not request or receive advanced standing approval, including those with WRIT '100-level' or '10L' transfer credits must complete WRIT 100, a full-year course, with B grade or higher before taking any second-year creative writing workshop courses.  

Transfer students to all Faculty of Fine Arts programs: Review the 'transfer credit summary' and 'program and prerequisite waiver requests' sections further below on this page for important information and additional instructions.

Minor programs

The Faculty of Fine Arts offers ten exciting minor programs that are open to declaration by all students who are taking part in a degree with a major or honours program. Some of the Fine Arts minors can be taken as a 'general' in a different type of degree program -- read on for details.

Most faculties and programs permit students to request to declare an interfaculty minor, however there are some exceptions so it's important to check with your advising service.


  • A minor offers the opportunity to focus on a second area of study in a degree. Requirements for the minor can be used to fulfill elective credits indicated on the program planning worksheet for your major or honours program.
  • Faculty of Fine Arts students can declare up to one minor program from any faculty in their degree by request to fineartsadvising@uvic.ca. Refer to the program declaration section below on this page for more information.
  • Students registered in Engineering & Computer Science, Humanities, Science, and Social Sciences degrees can declare up to one minor program from any faculty with approval of their advising office.
  • Students in Education, Engineering, and Human and Social Development programs should check with their faculty/program advising office to find out if they can include an interfaculty program in their degree and how to make a declaration request.


  • Three faculties at UVic offer the option to obtain a degree with a General Program (as opposed to a Major or Honours Program): Humanities, Science, and Social Sciences.
  • An undergraduate degree with a General Program must include at least two approved generals (including at least one that is offered by the student's faculty).
  • The degree can also include a minor or minor/general as a third program (this is optional).
  • The Faculties of Humanities and Social Sciences each offer a BA with General Program that can include one Fine Arts general as well as one Fine Arts minor as an optional third program in the degree.
  • Examples:
    • A student in the Faculty of Social Sciences could pursue a BA with anthropology and creative writing generals with an optional third program, such as a minor in museum studies or art history and visual studies.
    • A student in the Faculty of Humanities could pursue a BA with film studies and visual arts generals with an optional third program, such as a minor in music or theatre.
    • Note that Film Studies is offered jointly by Humanities and Fine Arts so it can be included as the requisite Humanities general in the degree.
  • Academic advising about completing a degree in the Faculty of Humanities or Social Sciences with a General Program is provided by the Academic Advising Centre.
  • Consult Fine Arts Academic Advising for questions related to the program requirements for Faculty of Fine Arts minors and minor/generals listed on this page.

Art History and Visual Studies Minor/General
Academic calendar | AHVS course descriptions | Explore this program
Most AHVS courses are open to all students and do not include prerequisites. Refer to course descriptions for more details. AHVS 120 is normally offered first term; AHVS 121 second term. Both courses include mandatory lecture and tutorial sections. 3.0 units of 200-level AHVS courses are mandatory so may not be substituted with higher-level courses. For registration support contact ahvsasst@uvic.ca

Creative Writing Minor/General 
Academic calendar | WRIT course descriptionsExplore this program
Students in the creative writing minor do not have access to register in creative writing workshop courses. These are reserved for Writing Majors. For registration support contact writing@uvic.ca.

Digital and Interactive Media in the Arts (DIMA) Minor/General
Academic calendar | Explore this program
Many of the DIMA course options are open to all students. Priority registration for ART courses is given to Visual Arts Majors. Priority for music technology courses is given to Combined Majors in Music and Computer Science. Writing workshop courses are reserved for Writing Majors. Refer to course descriptions from the academic calendar listing and class schedule notes for details.

Film Studies Minor/General (jointly offered with Humanities)
Academic calendar | Explore this program
Film studies provides a focus on film culture, history, and theory with limited technical and production opportunities. Most film studies course options are open to all students, however the writing workshop courses are reserved for writing majors. Those intending a career in film direction, production, and screenwriting are recommended to pursue the BA or BFA writing major (taking courses in film production and screenwriting) with a film studies minor. Visual arts programs include course options in video art so may also be relevant to those with a broad interest in studio arts as well as film production. Humanities, Science, and Social Sciences students should consult the Academic Advising Centre for advising services for film studies.

Museum Studies Minor/General
Academic calendar | Explore this program
Refer to course descriptions from the academic calendar listing and class schedule notes for details. For registration support with AHVS courses contact ahvsasst@uvic.ca. 300/400-level AHVS courses taken for the minor cannot also be applied to the major or honours program in art history and visual studies.

Music Minor (not available as a general)
Academic calendar | MUS course descriptions | Explore this program
Students in the music minor do not have access to individual lessons instruction provided for BMus students only. Minors intending to take ensemble courses should start at the 200-level (MUS 280A-G, MUS 281). Music composition lessons other than MUS 105, performance, and technology topics are reserved for students in related BMus major programs. For registration support contact musicadmin@uvic.ca.

Professional Writing in Journalism and Publishing Minor/General
Academic calendar | Explore this program
Refer to course descriptions from the academic calendar listing and class schedule notes for details. For registration support with WRIT courses contact writing@uvic.ca. For registration support with English (ENGL) professional communication topics contact pcadvisor@uvic.ca.

Theatre Minor/General
Academic calendar | Program website 
Refer to the program website for tips about selecting approved courses and how to obtain departmental permission when necessary for registration. Theatre performance courses are reserved for Theatre Majors with a performance focus only. For registration support contact theatre@uvic.ca.

Technology and Society Minor/General
Academic calendar | Explore this program
Most TS courses and program options are open to all students and do not include prerequisites. For registration support with TS courses contact fineasst@uvic.ca

Visual Arts Minor/General
Academic calendar | ART course descriptions | Explore this program
Priority registration in ART courses is given to Visual Arts Majors. 300-level ART courses are reserved for declared visual arts minors and majors only. Most 300-level ART courses are scheduled full year (September to April). Refer to course descriptions and class schedule notes for details. ART 150 is included as prerequisite to most 300-level ART courses. For registration support contact visualarts@uvic.ca.

Interested in taking an studio arts minor or electives related to classroom or community education? Take note of the art education minor and AE courses offered by the Faculty of Education. AE courses are open to all students. 

Ask an academic advising question (UVic students)

Faculty of Fine Arts students (including interfaculty requests):

  1. Use the tips and planning resources provided on this page to begin.
  2. Email Sarah Riecken at fineartsadvising@uvic.ca to ask questions or request an appointment.
  3. Include your V number (V0XXXXXXX) Your preferred name and pronouns are helpful.
  4. Provide details to explain your question(s) to help with a supportive response as quickly as possible. List your questions in point form.
  5. Include screen shots from your UVic registration, CAPP report, or the UVic website (Calendar) if it helps to explain your question.
  6. Asking about a course? Include the course code not the title (for example, WRIT 100). Depending on your question it could also help to include the section number (such as A01, T03, B02) or course registration number (A CRN has five digits: 12345).
  7. Review the Fine Arts Academic Advising email auto-reply in case you need to provide other info or contact another office.

Advising appointments are available over Zoom or MS Teams or by telephone. Sarah will coordinate a time to connect with you - normally between 9:30 am and 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday. First, she'll respond with info for you to review or consider before booking a meeting (or she may refer you to another service office depending on the assistance you request).

Before you request an appointment refer to UVic program planning and course registration tutorials and other information on this page.

All students, access and review your administrative transcript in your online account.

Declared Fine Arts students, access and review your degree evaluation/CAPP report in your online account.

Undeclared Fine Arts students with 12 units of credit or more already completed? Email your program declaration request, including interfaculty programs, to fineartsadvising@uvic.ca to get a degree evaluation/CAPP report.

Looking for academic advising for another faculty? Find your advising service on the directory of academic advisers.

Are you a new or prospective graduate student? Advising and admissions contacts for MA, MFA, MMus, and PhD programs are listed on the graduate programs page.


Meet with a career educator, discover career services (UVic students)

Learn what you can do with your degree!

Career services are available for new, continuing, and graduated students (UVic alumni).

Meet with a career educator for help to explore career options, decide on a university program, and learn how to prepare and apply for for employment and graduate programs.

  • résumés, cover letters and interviews
  • career exploration, research and planning
  • searching for work
  • graduate and professional school research and applications
  • career workshops and programs

Wellness support

Book an appointment

Counsellors can help you make positive changes in your thinking and behaviour to improve your mental health and well-being. Your counsellor can work with you to explore concerns (e.g., stress, anxiety, depression, loneliness), gain insight and learn new coping strategies.

Nurses provide integrated, holistic healthcare and can work with you to establish wellness goals. They are available to provide information and support in a variety of areas including physical health conditions, mental health concerns and general well-being.

Physicians support your physical and mental health. They can assist with exploring and addressing underlying medical or psychiatric conditions and are available to help with time-sensitive or unexpected health concerns. Treatment plans may include non-pharmacological therapies as well as medication management.

Spiritual Care Providers provide emotional, social and spiritual support regardless of your religion, or lack thereof. Working with a spiritual care provider may be a good fit if you are looking to make sense of the world, exploring life’s big questions, or just looking for a non-judgemental space to discuss any topic.

Parents, family members and friends of students

See info for parents and guardians.

If you're supporting a student as they make the transition to University, thank you! Becoming a university student can be a substantial life change and having a supportive community can be a big help.

It's important that students contact academic advising services and course instructors directly from their preferred email address with any questions and request appointments themselves.

Your support can include help to review UVic web resources, draft emails, provide advice on asking effective questions, making to-do lists, and help to plan and follow through on advice or instructions. Making a list of questions together after reviewing available information online is a great first step.

After an advising appointment, students can ask their adviser to provide a summary of advice given by email to help ensure information or instructions provided verbally is understood (and to use for sharing with their off-campus support team, if they want to). 

Winter session | September to April

Winter session (September to April) class schedules are available to view starting on May 15.

  • First Term = Fall Term = September to December
  • Second Term = Spring Term = January to April

Course registration for both winter session terms opens mid-June. 

Some winter session courses are scheduled for the full-year, from September to April. Registration is mandatory in both terms for all full-year courses.

You can tell which courses are full-year by the note on the class schedule section details (these details can be viewed by clicking on the hyperlinked 5-digit CRN in the Look Up Class search results for each course section):

"This is the first half of a course that runs Sep-Apr. You must register in the same section in Second Term (Jan-Apr) to complete your registration. For example, register in PHIL100 A01 in First Term and PHIL100 A01 in Second Term."


Summer session | May to August

Summer session (May to August) class schedules are available to view starting on February 15.

Summer session is made up of seven terms with varying dates (most courses are offered over three or six weeks). 

Summer course registration opens mid-March. While Faculty of Fine Arts programs don't tend to include summer options for core requirements, you may be able to take electives or catch up on a requirement offered by another department, e.g., academic writing, English, computer science, or math.

Your assigned registration date/time will be posted in your online account in the first week of March. You'll receive an email alert about it from the Office of the Registrar to the preferred email address you listed in your account.

View the Student Awards and Financial Aid website for summer session loan and grant requirements for full-time students or part-time students.

Course registration tips for newly admitted and continuing students in Faculty of Fine Arts programs and degrees. Transfer students should also refer to the next section below.

When to register

New students must pay the acceptance deposit before a course registration date will be assigned.

If you’ve been away for more than one year, you need to reapply before a registration date will be assigned. 

Your registration status and assigned date/time for the winter session will be posted in your online account in the first week of June. You'll receive an email alert about this from the Office of the Registrar to the preferred email address you listed in your account.

Unless you are a new Year 1 student, your registration date will be assigned based on the number of units completed by April 30 each year (see year level definitions) as well as GPA.

New Year 1 students register first followed by Year 4, Year 3, Year 2, and then continuing Year 1 students (those who completed less than 12 units in their first year).

If you are registered with the Centre for Accessible Learning and need extra time to get support with your course registration, contact your CAL adviser to ask about options.


Course registration guide

Start your course registration planning as soon as winter session (first and second term) class schedules are available to view on May 15.

Leave yourself plenty of time to review options and ask for help. Advising offices are always extra busy during May-September, and January.

Don't delay adding courses for both terms at your assigned registration date/time in June. Courses fill quickly. Waitlisted students are not guaranteed seats. 

  1. Program planning worksheets
  2. Academic Calendar: Programs pages
  3. Academic Calendar: Course descriptions
  4. UVic course registration guide 
  5. How UVic courses work
  6. Look up Classes or use the Class Schedule Search page
  7. Waitlists

Unsure what to register for? Add placeholder courses on an 'in case' basis using the program planning worksheets, then consult the relevant academic advising office with any questions. Check for pre- and co-requisites in course descriptions.

Students can add up to 10.5 units of combined registered and waitlisted courses per term (max. 9 units registered) while making their course registration selections. See additional information about course load and add/drop deadlines provided on this page. Fees for first term registered courses are not due until September 30; January 31 for second term courses.

Use the list of courses available for all undergraduate students to find electives on topics of interest to you.

If you'd like to take more than one course in the same department or study area, explore related programs in the Academic Calendar. Look up minors and other major programs as well as certificates and diplomas. You can search the Calendar's program pages by keyword or filter the program pages to search by credential type.

It's possible to double major, add a minor, or take a certificate or diploma concurrently with your Faculty of Fine Arts degree by using your allotted degree electives to satisfy the additional program requirements. To find out how many electives your degree includes, refer to the program planning worksheet for the major, combined major, or honours program you intend to complete.

Prerequisite bypass process | Newly admitted students

Prerequisites listed in the Academic Calendar: Course descriptions are mandatory. It's important not to add any course without looking up the pre- and co-requisites first.  If you don't meet a prerequisite the way it is listed in the course description or obtain departmental permission you will be dropped.

For both terms of the Winter session (September to April), prerequisite checking is turned off for several student groups from June until mid-August. Then, starting in mid-August departments begin prerequisite checking and dropping students for first term courses. Prerequisite checking for second term courses starts in mid-December.

This process ensures that all students are able to register in courses they need for their program if transfer credit for prerequisites hasn't yet been assigned or because final Grade 11/12 grades haven't yet been received or processed by Undergraduate Admissions. It also gives time for students to request departmental permission, if applicable. 

The groups of students who this information applies to include:

  • Newly admitted to the university
  • Accelerated entry
  • International exchange
  • Degree holders with block transfer credit
  • Undergraduate diploma or certificate students
  • Visiting students

Course registration help | Contact a department

Academic advising does not register students in courses. For general course registration system support, email studentsupport@uvic.ca. See also course registration tutorials. 

Need help with registering in a specific course? Contact the academic department directly about prerequisites, permission, course delivery, or how to obtain a course syllabus:

For contacts for other departments, use the UVic Directory.

Academic important dates | Add/drop deadlines

Your assigned registration date/time is the earliest date you can add courses. Students can add/drop courses in each term up to the 100% fee reduction, 50% fee reduction, academic drop, and course add deadlines listed in the Calendar for each term/session.

Note: The course add deadline in each term is intended for those who have been given a registration offer from a waitlist and have been attending class.

Don't add a course after the 100% fee reduction deadline unless you have been attending class or have checked with the instructor first. Ask if there are mandatory attendance requirements and what assignments/content you've missed. Otherwise, you will owe at least 50% of course fees if you realize you can't catch up or change your mind.

Transfer credit may be obtained by completing transferable studies prior to UVic admission or by obtaining approval to apply as a visiting student elsewhere during your degree:

Transfer credit summary

See Undergraduate Admissions for more information about transfer credit.

Newly admitted transfer students to UVic are sent a 'transfer credit email' from the Undergraduate Admissions office after an offer of admission. Questions? Contact your assigned admissions assistant.

  • To view your transfer credit summary in your online UVic account, refer to Online Tools > Student Services > Grades and Records > Transfer Credit Summary.  If your transfer credit is updated or revised you will be notified by email from the Admissions office.

  • Transfer credit is only awarded for successfully completed courses. Minimum grades are required for Advanced Placement and International Baccelaureate studies. See the BC Transfer Guide for more information.

  • If credit for any course (or its equivalent) has been previously obtained, no further credit can be awarded unless course description notes allow for this. Consult the Academic calendar regulation on repeating courses - this information also applies to courses taken at another institution.

  • If the course you took elsewhere does not transfer as a specific UVic course, you will need permission of the relevant academic department/school to (1) apply non-specific 'level' credit in place of a program requirement (program requirement waiver) and/or (2) to satisfy a prerequisite for registration in a specific course (prerequisite waiver). See program and prerequisite waiver request instructions provided on this page.

  • Examples of how level credit will appear on your records are AHVS 10L, ART 10L, FA 10L, MUS 10L, THEA 10L, WRIT 10L. 10L stands for '100-level.' If a department assigns level credit it means the course is not an automatic substitute for a specific course.


Program and prerequisite waiver requests

These instructions are provided for admitted transfer students who are preparing to register in courses. Requests to departments should be made well in advance of course registration and the start of term.

Prospective transfer students are welcome to contact a member of the student recruitment team (recruitment@uvic.ca) with any questions. Applicants may contact their assigned admission assistant. Refer to the 'transfer credit summary' section above for more tips.

I want to request a waiver using transfer credit for:

I need to contact (include all addresses):

  • AHVS courses
  • Art History and Visual Studies programs (includes Museum Studies Minor/General)

Note: AHVS '100-level' credit is not accepted in lieu of AHVS 120 and/or AHVS 121 in Art History and Visual Studies programs.

To: Dr. Marcus Milwright

Cc: arthistory@uvic.ca

Cc: fineartsadvising@uvic.ca

  • Fine Arts (FA courses)
  • Technology and Society (TS courses) 
  • Digital and Interactive Media in the Arts Minor/General
  • Film Studies Minor/General
  • Technology and Society Minor/General

Note: AHVS, ART, FA, MUS, THEA, TS, and WRIT 'level' credit is not accepted in lieu of the Fine Arts Co-Requisite that is a core degree requirement for most Faculty of Fine Arts degrees.

To: Dr. Eva Baboula

Cc: fineartsadvising@uvic.ca 

  • ART courses
  • Visual Arts programs

Note: Requests should be accompanied by a course syllabus and images of relevant works completed in the course.

To: Prof. Cedric Bomford

Cc: visualarts@uvic.ca

Cc: fineartsadvising@uvic.ca

  • MUS courses
  • School of Music programs (BMus, BSc/BFA)

To: Ms. Bethany McNeil

Cc: fineartsadvising@uvic.ca 

  • THEA courses
  • Theatre programs

Note: Many theatre courses require permission of the instructor or list more than one course as prerequisite. Refer to course descriptions in the Academic Calendar.

To: Dr. Anthony Vickery

Cc: theatre@uvic.ca

Cc: fineartsadvising@uvic.ca

Professional Writing in Journalism and Publishing Minor/General 

To: Prof. Deborah Campbell

Cc: writing@uvic.ca

Cc: fineartsadvising@uvic.ca 

  • WRIT courses
  • Writing programs (includes Creative Writing Minor/General)

Note: WRIT '100-level' credit is not accepted in lieu of WRIT 100 in the Writing Major or Creative Writing Minor/General, nor as prerequisite to higher-level creative writing workshop courses.

Refer also to the department's website for information about Applying for Advanced Standing (deadline April 15).

To: writing@uvic.ca

Cc: fineartsadvising@uvic.ca 

Permission to study elsewhere

Planning to apply as a visiting student at another university or college? Request a letter of permission by email to fineartsadvising@uvic.ca

Am I eligible?

  • Undergraduate Fine Arts students in good academic standing or on academic probation with at least 6 units of registered or completed courses at UVic can request a letter.
  • Consult your assigned admissions assistant if you intend to take courses elsewhere during your first year at UVic.
  • If you have been required to withdraw from the university you will need to take transferable studies to qualify for re-admission, however you will not receive a letter of permission. See the academic probation/required to withdraw section further below on this page.

What should I include in my request?

  • Request your letter at least a term in advance to allow time for a transfer credit evaluation and to apply as a visiting student.
  • Include your name and student number, the name of the institution you want to attend, up to five course codes and titles, and the expected start and end dates for each.

What happens next?

  • Expect a minimum of 5-10 business days for your letter to be issued to you by email (longer during holiday absences and peak periods during September and January).
  • Not all courses are transferable, so don't register elsewhere until you have consulted academic advising.
  • Once your letter has been issued, an informational hold will appear on your administrative transcript until you submit an official transcript to the Undergraduate Records office with your final grade(s) or to show course withdrawal.
  • Grades for transferred courses will not appear on your UVic transcript, although grades for studies elsewhere are included in sessional GPA calculations to determine academic standing (in good standing, academic probation, or required to withdraw) and are also reviewed for any relevant program requirements.
  • When transfer credit is assigned you will receive a notification by email from the Office of the Registrar. To view your transfer credit summary in your online UVic account, refer to Online Tools > Student Services > Grades and Records > Transfer Credit Summary.

Are there fees?

  • The fee for each letter is $10.00 payable to the University of Victoria (care of the Office of the Dean, Fine Arts by cash or cheque).
  • The fee is due after you receive the letter that will be sent to you as a PDF by email from fineartsadvising@uvic.ca
  • If you don't have a paid letter of permission, you'll be charged a $50 document evaluation fee by the Office of the Registrar when you proivide your official transcript for review.
  • Look up application and tuition fees for the college or university you will attend.

What do I do when I finish my courses or cancel my registration?

  • Your official transcript is due at the Undergraduate Records office as soon as the studies elsewhere are completed.
  • An official transcript or letter to confirm withdrawal or non-registration will be required if you withdraw from the course or do not complete it successfully.
  • Contact fineartsadvising@uvic.ca if you cancel or withdraw from authorized studies.
  • For any questions about your assigned transfer credits, contact the Undergraduate Records office (records3@uvic.ca for Fine Arts students; studentsupport@uvic.ca all other faculties).

How can I find transferable courses?

  • Transfer agreements with BC institutions and some others are shown on the BC Transfer Guide.
  • Thompson Rivers University and Athabasca University offer a wide selection of distance courses (most would apply as electives in a Fine Arts degree program).
  • If you need a transfer credit evaluation for any course not listed on the BC Transfer Guide it will be completed by the Office of the Registrar (and the relevant academic department) once you submit your request for a letter of permission. The evaluation process can take several weeks so plan ahead.
  • If you already have credit for a course (or its equivalent), no further credit will be awarded unless the UVic course description notes allow for this. Consult the Academic calendar regulation on repeating courses - this information also applies to courses taken elsewhere.

How can I use transfer credit in my degree?

  • Consult the Fine Arts Academic Adviser (fineartsadvising@uvic.ca) to confirm how any planned transfer credit will apply to your degree. It's your responsibility to ensure all degree requirements are met. 
  • If a course is assigned 'level' transfer credit this means it's not equivalent to a specific UVic course and you'd need permission of the relevant academic department/school (Chair or Director's office) to apply it to (1) a program requirement and/or (2) to satisfy a prerequisite for registration in a specific course. See further instructions provided in the accordion tab below.

Are there limits on how much transfer credit I can use? Yes, in the Academic Calendar:

  • at least 30 of 60 units required at minimum for graduation must be UVic courses
  • at least 18 of 21 units upper-level courses required must be UVic courses (this can include credit for "Exchange" courses)
  • no more than 6.0 upper-level units required for an Honours Program may be taken elsewhere
  • no more than 3.0 upper-level units required for a Major Program may be taken elsewhere
  • no more than 3.0 of 9.0 upper-level units required for a Minor Program may be taken elsewhere
Questions about course load?

Full-time vs part-time

UVic's definition of full time is an undergraduate student taking 12 or more units in the winter session (September to April) or 6 or more units in the summer session (May to August).

You'll need a minimum load if you are studying on scholarship, receive government loans or bursaries or another type of financial aid, live in residence, or participate on a varsity team or in the Work Study program. Check specific requirements with the relevant office.

Program planning worksheets show how to complete the requirements in four years with 15 units (ten 1.5-unit courses) per year. However, they aren't intended to suggest that completion within four years is mandatory. You can usually pace your degree to suit your personal needs and financing as long as you keep in mind that progression in a program may require taking the core courses in a specific sequence that is based on prerequisites listed in course descriptions.

A commonly asked question is when to take electives. Schedule your electives in a way that works for you according to your choice or need for part-time or full-time studies. You can follow the program planning sheet or do something different. You can take electives in summers or later on in the degree. First-year students usually take 100- and 200-level courses in topics of interest. Second-year and higher students can take 100-400 level courses in topics of interest, depending on prerequisites.


  • Your graduation date depends on when you complete all of your program and faculty graduation requirements. Graduation can occur in May for students who complete all requirements by April 30, in October, for students who complete by August 31. An application is required. See Graduation and Convocation information.

  • If you're an international student consult the International Student Services office if you plan to take less than full-time studies in any term.

  • If you're registered with the Centre for Accessible Learning you may be eligible to take a reduced course load and maintain full-time status. Contact your CAL adviser.

  • School of Music students should check with the , if dropping below full-time while taking individual lessons (MUS 140-440 or MUS 245-445).


7.5 units during a single term is considered an ordinary course load for full-time students intending a four-year degree without summer studies. However, students are permitted to register in up to 9.0 units in first term, second term and the summer session.

If you think you need to take a load above these limits, submit a request for course overload by email to fineartsadvising@uvic.ca in advance of your course registration date.

Include information in your request about the course you want to add and a personal statement to explain your reasons. Making a request does not guarantee approval.

Your request will first be reviewed by the academic adviser to determine if there are alternatives within your degree and program requirements to avoid an overload.  It will then be forwarded to the associate dean for review and decision. The adviser or associate dean may ask you to provide additional information to support your request.

Normally the maximum overload that will be approved is 0.5 to 1.5 units for supportable reasons only.

Requests to take an overload for the purpose of taking surplus courses to graduation requirements will not be approved. 

Starting in Year 2 students can request to declare a program, apply to the co-op or work experience program, and apply to the exchange program (study abroad):

Declaring your program | Required for all students

Why declare a program?

  • All students must be declared in order to apply to graduate. 
  • Submitting a declaration lets UVic and your academic advising office know of your intention to continue and complete a specific academic program.
  • Declaring helps you track your program progress using a personalized degree evaluation report that will be prepared for you.
  • Degree evaluation reports, also referred to as Curriculum, Advising and Program Planning (CAPP) reports, are only available to declared students. 

When should I declare?

  • Declare your primary program (Major or Combined Major) early - at the end of Year 1 or Year 2  - or as soon as you are eligible. Some programs list audition, interview, or minimum GPA requirements in the Academic calendar.
  • You must have at least 12 units of UVic and/or transfer credit to be eligible to declare any program.

How can I declare a Fine Arts program?

  • Completing a degree in the Faculty of Fine Arts? Email fineartsadvising@uvic.ca with your program declaration request, including interfaculty programs, and any related questions. You can request to declare or change a major, add or remove a minor, or change to an honours program if your program offers this and you are eligible.
  • Completing a degree in a faculty other than Fine Arts? Request to declare a Faculty of Fine Arts program in your degree via your home faculty's advising office at least six weeks before you register for courses to avoid registration restrictions. During peak periods requests to add a program may take longer. Not all faculties permit interfaculty programs (Fine Arts does).

What else should I consider?

  • Students intending an interfaculty double major can normally register for the degree in either faculty; consult the relevant academic advising office about your degree options (BA, BFA, BMus, BSc) and about the faculty graduation requirements for either option.
  • Students intending to declare an honours program, including interfaculty honours/major programs, must be registered in the faculty that offers the honours program. Students intending a double honours should consult academic advising first.
  • Program requirements can change from year to year, so make sure you have the current year’s Academic calendar when preparing for registration.
  • Degree requirements are normally determined by the Academic calendar edition in effect in the term of entry to UVic or the Faculty of Fine Arts.

Co-op education | Work experience

Joy Andrews, Co-op Coordinator for Fine Arts, can orient you to co-op, work experience, parallel co-op, and post-study internship options, including entrepreneurial work terms.

Exchange program | Study abroad

See the Exchange program website and explore more than 300 of UVic's partner institutions. Exchange course credit can be used toward program requirements and/or elective credits in your degree depending on the exchange credit you receive for the courses you take while you're away.

Students pay UVic tuition for 7.5 units for each term you are on exchange. As an exchange student, you will pay for 7.5 units of coursework per term while you are on exchange regardless of the number of courses you take at the host institution. Part-time registration options may be available on a case by case basis. Tuition fees are due by the usual UVic deadline each term.

Review your plans with the Fine Arts Academic Adviser before you apply.

Unable to finish a course due to unanticipated and extenuating circumstances? You have options.

Fee reduction appeals |Dropped courses

Students who need to drop a course due to extenuating circumstances after the 100% fee reduction deadline, but before the academic drop deadline, may submit an appeal for fee reduction to the Office of the Registrar.

  1. See the Fee Reduction Appeals Committee page for appeal instructions.
  2. For fee reduction appeal support, contact Student Support Services at studentsupport@uvic.ca or 250-721-8121 or Tuition Fees at tuition@uvic.ca or 250-721-7032.

Academic Concession | Deferral, withdrawal, grade notation

Students who experience illness, an accident, or family affliction that prevent them from completing course(s) after the academic drop deadline, should submit a Request for Academic Concession (RAC), as well as accompanying documentation, as soon as possible to the Office of the Registrar (studentsupport@uvic.ca).

Approval of the request may give the student (1) additional time to complete course work (deferral or extended deferral), or (2) allow for a course drop without academic penalty (withdrawal due to extenuating circumstances or course removed from academic record) or (3) add a note to the official transcript with the final grade to indicate the student completed the course under extenuating or exceptional circumstances (aegrotat notation). 

  1. Academic Concession options (with video and request form instructions)
  2. Academic Concession Request Form
  3. Office of the Registrar Contacts for Support

Requests for a deferral must be formally requested using the Academic Concession Request form and are reviewed for approval by both the course instructor and academic unit head (Chair or Director). For a deferral to be granted, instructional supervision and assignment completion outside of term must be feasible. When a deferral is not approved, students may request another academic concession option. 

Tip: Students intending to request an extension to complete coursework after the end of term should consult the course instructor before submitting their request to confirm it can be supported and to determine deadlines and how assignments will be submitted (location, or if by email, to what address). Keep a record of any communciations.  

Academic advising and associate dean's offices can provide advice and help so students understand their options. Contacts for students registered in Faculty of Fine Arts degree programs:

  1. Fine Arts Academic Advising: fineartsadvising@uvic.ca
  2. Fine Arts Associate Dean: fineassociatedean@uvic.ca 
Want to question a grade for an assignment or course? Contact your instructor right away. See below for more information about how to appeal a grade.

Grade review request

Link to Academic Calendar regulation: Grading: Review of an Assigned Grade 

For grades received during term: While term is in progress students who believe that a grade awarded for work is unfair should discuss the matter informally with the instructor concerned. If discussion with the instructor fails to resolve the matter, the student may appeal directly to the Chair/Director or designate of the department or school. 

For a final course grade: Within seven days of receiving a final grade any student that has a complaint about an assigned grade in a course run by the Faculty of Fine Arts should submit a written statement to the instructor. Following this, students may request an additional review by the department chair or school director. Students should be prepared to re-submit all assignments and supporting documents related to the appeal.  

Before applying for a formal review of a grade, you should, according to the Calendar, make every effort to discuss with the instructor. For the procedure followed for Fine Arts courses (ART, AHVS, FA, MUS, THEA, TS, WRIT course codes), access the Fine Arts Review of Assigned Grade Procedures (213 KB PDF).

If you need help to find Fine Arts departmental contact information to appeal a final grade, contact the Office of the Dean, Fine Arts at fineasst@uvic.ca or call (250) 721-7755. 

To request grade appeal procedures for courses taken outside the Faculty of Fine Arts, contact studentsupport@uvic.ca

Your academic standing is based on your academic performance (GPA) in a given session. You can be in good standing, placed on academic probation or required to withdraw.

Academic standing

A Sessional GPA of at least 2.0 (or equivalent if a UVic student attempts courses elsewhere for credit towards a UVic program) is required to remain in good academic standing.

  • 2.0 is equivalent to a C grade average on the official UVic grading system.
  • Sessional GPA is calculated at the end of a session (Winter: September to April, Summer: May to August).
  • A sessional GPA is calculated on all courses attempted in a session which have a unit value and determines academic standing for all undergraduate students.
  • To learn how grade point averages are calculated, visit the Grade point average (GPA) calculations page.

Questions? Faculty of Fine Arts students can use this roadmap to academic standing.

Academic probation | Requirement to withdraw

If you have a GPA of less than 2.0 at the end of the winter or summer session you'll be notified by the Office of the Registrar by email that you've been placed on academic probation for the next session you attend.

Faculty of Fine Arts students who are newly placed on academic probation should contact Fine Arts Academic Advising and the Student Wellness Centre for assistance as applicable to your personal situation. You may be eligible to apply for academic concession

  • Students who are on academic probation and who achieve a sessional GPA of 2.0 or higher will clear their probation status at the end of the session (return to good academic standing), except where a student's standing is withheld (see Academic Standing and Academic Probation and Requirement to Withdraw from the University.)

  • Students who are on academic probation and whose sessional GPA falls below 2.0 in the next session attended will have failed to clear their probation period and will be required to withdraw, normally for at least one academic year.

  • Refer to the GPAs page for a sample sessional GPA calculation

    • Even if you only plan to take one course in the next session you attend while on academic probation, whether at UVic or elsewhere, you will be required to withdraw if you don't obtain a GPA of 2.0 or higher.
    • For example, if you are placed on probation based on low GPA for courses taken during September to April and then register in one course at UVic during May to August you must obtain a minimum C grade on that course to avoid a requirement to withdraw at the end of the summer. If you take two or more courses in that summer your grades will be averaged.
    • Avoid a requirement to withdraw by seeking advice from your course instructors, academic advising and counselling and by dropping any courses you are not passing before the last day for withdrawing from courses without academic penalty (academic drop deadline). 
    • All students returning after a requirement to withdraw will be placed on probation for the next session attended.
    • Students who have grounds for appeal may appeal to the Senate Committee on Admission, Reregistration and Transfer Appeals (SCARTA), stating why they should be considered for reregistration.

Refer to the Office of the Registrar's website for more details about Academic Standing and Academic Probation and Requirement to Withdraw from the University.

Ready to review graduation eligibilty and application steps? 

Graduation and convocation

Graduation is the awarding of your credential and degree parchment (diploma) by the University of Victoria Senate. You must apply to graduate in order to be awarded your credential and receive your diploma.

  • Only declared programs will be reviewed for graduation and included in the degree. If you're intending to declare an additional program (major, minor) be sure to request this before you apply to graduate. If you need to add or remove a program prior to your degree award, contact fineartsadvising@uvic.ca as soon as possible. 

  • If your degree evaluation/CAPP report shows you are declared in the co-op or work experience program and you don't intend to complete it, contact hufacoop@uvic.ca to request to withdraw.

  • If you're intending to exclude any surplus UVic courses from your degree so they are available to apply to a future credential, if applicable, you must request this before graduation. Fine Arts students should contact fineartsadvising@uvic.ca when applying to graduate to allow time for consultation and processing. Grades for excluded 300/400-level courses are not included in the Graduating GPA

Convocation is a ceremony where we present graduates with their degree parchments (diplomas). Visit UVic Ceremonies for information about convocation, grad photos and more.

For UVic graduates:

The UVic Alumni Association, with the help of Alumni Relations staff, help to keep strong bonds between UVic and its the worldwide community of graduates.