Skip to main content

Transfer credit

In some cases, you can use credits from other schools or institutions towards your degree at UVic. We’ll assign eligible credits based on your transcripts when you apply.

Credit is based on the year in which the courses were completed. We normally send a transfer credit email immediately after the admission offer.

Advanced placement (AP)

You may be eligible for transfer credit if you've completed an Advanced Placement (AP) exam through the College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB) with a grade of 4 or 5. We'll also consider a grade of 3 for advanced standing, which lets you register into a higher course level, but does not give you credit for a specific UVic course.

  • We require official transcripts sent directly from CEEB in order for transfer credit to be awarded for AP courses. UVic's CEEB code is 0989.
  • Check out the BC Transfer Guide for the most up-to-date information on how your courses transfer.

International baccalaureate (IB)

We'll give you up to one year of transfer credit if you complete a full IB diploma with minimum subject scores. If you're not completing a full IB diploma, your points can still count. We offer course-by-course transfer credit assessment for each Higher Level course completed as long as your scores meet our minimum requirements.

  • If you're completing IB and another curriculum (e.g., BC Ministry of Education diploma or US high school diploma), we'll evaluate your application using your best-case scenario between the two curriculums.
  • Check out the BC Transfer Guide for the most up-to-date information on how your courses transfer.

BC colleges

We usually assign eligible transfer credit when we evaluate your application. In most cases, transfer credit for courses completed at a BC college is:

  • determined on a course-by-course basis
  • assigned based on the year in which the courses were completed
  • assigned according to the equivalencies set out in the BC Transfer Guide
  • guaranteed 30 units of credit when an associate degree has been granted

In some cases, block credit agreements have been established for specific diploma programs to transfer to specific UVic degree programs.

Note: Most UVic courses are assigned a value of 1.5 or 3.0 units, where most BC colleges use a 3.0 and 6.0 credit system. In the case of transfer credit, a 3.0 credit course = 1.5 UVic units.

Canadian colleges of applied arts and technology

We determine transfer credit for career/vocational diplomas on a course-by-course basis. In some cases, block credit for a specific diploma program may be assigned when entering a specific UVic degree program.

Amount of study completed Transfer credit
Certificate program None
One full year of a diploma program None
Two year diploma program Up to 7.5 units
Two years of a three-year diploma program Up to 7.5 units
Three-year diploma program Up to 15 units

CÉGEP (collège d’enseignement general et professionnel)

We determine transfer credit on a course-by-course basis to a maximum of 15 units if more than one year of CÉGEP has been completed.

All other post-secondary institutions (Canadian and international)

We determine transfer credit on a course-by-course basis.

This website stores cookies on your computer. These cookies are used to collect information about how you interact with our website and allow us to remember you. We use this information in order to improve and customize your browsing experience and for analytics and metrics about our visitors both on this website and other media. To find out more about the cookies we use, see our Privacy Policy.