Skip to main content

How to register

If you’ve received a disability or chronic health diagnosis, the Centre for Accessible Learning (CAL) can offer you support and accommodations to help you succeed in your studies.

Note: diagnosis of a disability or chronic health condition does not guarantee academic accommodations.

Registration deadlines

Current term

If you submit after the deadline, we will process your application for the next academic term.

Future term

  • Early registration period for Fall term: May 1 to July 1
Submit your pre-intake form as early as possible to ensure your accommodations are in place for the start of classes in September.

What is required?

Before the term's registration deadline:

  • submit the pre-intake form with medical documentation of your diagnosis
  • attend an intake appointment with a CAL advisor

Registering with CAL

To register with CAL, you need to complete our confidential online pre-intake form and include medical documentation of your diagnosis.

Your medical documentation needs to meet the following requirements:

Recognized professionals

The Ministry of Advanced Education and UVic recognize the ability of the following professionals to diagnose and document disabilities and chronic illnesses:

  • physical or mobility: physician or nurse practitioner
  • vision: ophthalmologist, optometrist or orthoptist
  • D/deaf or hard of hearing: certified audiologist
  • neurological: neurologist, neuropsychologist, psychiatrist or physician
  • psychiatric or mental health condition: clinical psychologist, psychiatrist or physician with expertise in that area
  • learning disability: registered clinical psychologist or certified school psychologist

Your diagnosis documentation must include:

  • the professional's name, title, phone number and address, official stamp or letterhead and signature
  • the assessment date
  • a statement of the nature of the disability including the DSM or ICD code and any impacts of medication
  • an explanation of the disability’s impact on your education
  • recommendations for specific accommodations, if necessary

Learning disability assessment (LDA)

If you are registering with CAL due to a learning disability, you need to submit an LDA by a registered psychologist, registered psychological associate or a BC-certified school psychologist.

Assessment requirements:

  • developmental, educational and family history (including medical history)
  • a comprehensive assessment of intelligence or cognition (such as the WAIS-III or IV; WJ-III Cognitive; SB-IV)
  • academic achievement measured by a comprehensive achievement test (such as the WIAT-II or the WJ-III- Test of Achievement)
  • a formal statement of diagnosis

One of the following tests of cognitive functioning:

  • Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale: 3rd or 4th edition
  • Stanford Binet-5
  • Woodcock-Johnson-III Tests of Cognitive Abilities
  • Kaufman Adolescent and Adult Intelligence Test (KAIT)
  • Differential Ability Scales: 2nd edition (DAS-II)

One of the following achievement measures to assess academic functioning:

  • Wechsler Individual Achievement Test: 2nd Edition (WIAT-II)
  • Woodcock-Johnson-III Tests of Achievement (standard battery and extended battery depending on clinical judgment)
  • Kaufman Test of Educational Achievement: 2nd Edition (comprehensive form)

Your documentation should be no more than 3 years old. CAL cannot accept a Q designation from the BC Ministry of Education and Child Care.

Need help?

Email the CAL Front Desk or call 250-472-4947 if you have questions or need more information.