Skip to main content

Graduation & convocation

students in grad robes

Graduation vs convocation

Graduation is the awarding of your credential and degree parchment (diploma) by the University of Victoria Senate. You must apply to graduate in order to be awarded your credential and receive your diploma.

Convocation is a ceremony where we present graduates with their degree parchments (diplomas). UVic holds convocation ceremonies in June and November, and attendance is optional.

Review your eligibility to graduate

Before you apply to graduate, make sure you meet UVic's minimum degree requirements.

  • Review your Curriculum, Advising and Program Planning (CAPP) report. It will show you the graduation requirements for your program. This is not required for Juris Doctor students. Contact your academic adviser if you have any questions about your program requirements.
  • Make sure your program details appear correctly, including honours, minors, specializations or concurrent programs. If you're also completing a diploma or certificate program, make sure it is listed too.
  • If you are graduating with surplus credit, you may be able to hold it toward a future credential. To do this, you must get permission from your academic adviser at least two months before you graduate.

Check your transfer credit

You can check your transfer credit in the Transfer Credit Information section of your administrative transcript. Make sure that all your transfer credit appears correctly.

If you're currently attending another college or university, you must arrange for an official transcript with all your final grades to be sent to the Office of the Registrar by:

  • February 15 for spring graduation
  • September 10 for fall graduation

When these dates occur on a weekend, the transcript deadline is extended to the next business day.

Apply to graduate

Review the graduation timeline and application fees, then submit your application through My page by the deadline.

  • The application will display your current declared program(s).
  • If part of your declared program is missing or incorrect, you must indicate it on your application. Components that could be missing or incorrect are honours, double or combined majors, minors, concentrations, specializations, options, co-op or work experience.
  • You must submit a separate application for each credential you plan to graduate from.

Graduation timeline (undergraduate programs)

Graduation Spring 2021 Fall 2021
Application deadline Dec 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2021
Late application deadline
(additional fee applies)
Feb 15, 2021 Sep 10, 2021
Complete program requirements by Dec 31, 2020 or
Apr 30, 2021*
Aug 31, 2021
Faculty approval Early May 2021 Early Oct 2021
Graduation date (Senate approval) May 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

*December 31 if your last course is taken in Fall 2020; April 30 if your last course is taken in Spring 2021.

Application fees

You must pay your graduation application fee online when you submit your application. You can use Visa, MasterCard or American Express. Contact for alternate payment methods.

The application fee is non-refundable and non-transferable. If your application is cancelled, you’ll need to re-apply for a future graduation. You'll have to pay the fee again.

  • Bachelor and Juris Doctor degree programs (includes UVSS grad class fee): $50
  • Diploma and certificate programs: $40
  • Late application fee: $10

After you apply

Monitor your CAPP report

Review your Curriculum, Advising and Program Planning (CAPP) report any time you add or drop a course. Any duplicate or mutually exclusive course registrations won't be reflected on your CAPP report until the course has been graded.

You can also review the status of your graduation eligibility on your CAPP report (graduation status) or in My page (application status).

CAPP My page Details
Submitted Submitted Application received
Applied to Graduate In progress Application is under review*
Records Approval In progress You will be recommended for graduation
Awarded Awarded

Congratulations, you've officially graduated!

- Cancelled Application cancelled

*It's normal for your application to stay in this status until early May (spring graduation) or early October (fall graduation).

Check your preferred email

We'll notify you when your graduation has been officially awarded or if there are any issues with your eligibility to graduate. If you fail to respond, your application for graduation might be cancelled.

Request a degree completion letter (optional)

If you need to show that your program requirements have been met and that you will be recommended for graduation, you can order a degree completion letter. International students may need this document in support of a post-graduation work permit. The letters are issued after all of your final grades appear on your transcript.

You can order a degree completion letter after your application to graduate has been received.

Register for convocation

You'll receive a convocation registration email in mid-March (spring graduation) or late September (fall graduation). Visit UVic Ceremonies for information about convocation dates, guest tickets, grad photos and more.

International convocation guests

If your guests need a visa to travel to Canada so they can attend your convocation ceremony, they might need an invitation letter. Complete the request for invitation letter for international guest to attend convocation form.

Your diploma (degree parchment)

Your diploma will display your faculty and credential. If applicable, it will also display "(Honours)", "With Distinction" and/or "Co-operative Education".



Your Name Here

to the degree of




"With Distinction" will appear on your diploma and transcript if your graduating GPA is in the top 20 percent of your academic unit. If you achieve "With Distinction", we'll add a notation to your transcript on your graduation date.

Your diploma will not display your major, minor, concentration, specialization, emphasis, specialization or option. These program details are displayed on your transcript, degree completion letters and certificates of degree completion.

Receiving your diploma

We'll email you to ask how you want to receive your diploma:

  • attend convocation and receive it during the ceremony
  • pick it up from the Office of the Registrar
  • receive it by mail

Make sure you have paid all your outstanding fees and fines. If you haven't, your diploma may be withheld.

Replacement diplomas

You can request a replacement diploma, which is a reprint of your original document. You might want one if yours has been lost or damaged, you have had a name change, or if you are converting your Bachelor of Laws degree to a Juris Doctor degree.

If you did not receive your original diploma, contact before you submit a request for a replacement.

Request a replacement diploma

Name on your diploma

The name on your diploma must be your legal name, but you can choose to make the following modifications:

  • replace your first name with its initial
  • replace your middle name with its initial or choose not to display your middle name
  • include accents e.g. Zoë
  • display an alternate legal name, e.g. maiden name (with supporting documentation)

Except for accents, modifications that you make to your legal name for your diploma will also be made to your student record and official transcript. See use of legal name for more information on where we use your legal name and how to register a legal name change with us.

When you apply for graduation, you'll specify the name you want on your diploma.

Including your Indigenous or traditional name on the diploma

If you are an Indigenous student, you can include your traditional name alongside your legal name on your diploma. However, the application for graduation does not currently support many of the characters found in Indigenous languages.

Please submit your application for graduation without your traditional name. You can then send an email to with your student number and your full name as you would like it to appear on your diploma.

Post-graduation documents

In addition to your diploma, these documents provide proof of graduation.

Official transcript

A "credential granted" section will be added to your transcript on your graduation date.

Certificate of degree completion

A certificate of degree completion bears the Registrar's signature and the university seal. This document can be provided to employers, agencies and in support of international work visas.

Need help?

If you need to change information on your application or if you have any questions, contact or 250-721-8121

This website stores cookies on your computer. These cookies are used to collect information about how you interact with our website and allow us to remember you. We use this information in order to improve and customize your browsing experience and for analytics and metrics about our visitors both on this website and other media. To find out more about the cookies we use, see our Privacy Policy.