Skip to main content

Research & supervisors

graduate students with supervisor

Two of the most important elements of your graduate experience will be your research and your relationship with your supervisor. We have a number of supports in place to help you with your research during your time at UVic.

UVic Research Anywhere

UVic Research Anywhere provides the guides, tools and services that support research from home and relevant research resources available at UVic Libraries and beyond. Find help regarding:

  • Research process
  • What technologies are available
  • Research resources by formats
  • Data management and privacy
  • Writing and citing

Working with your supervisor

A great supervisor oversees your academic work, is passionate about your subject area and is invested in your success. This mentor may work with you to identify research and teaching roles, members of a supervisory committee and career opportunities that will carry you beyond your degree.

Our graduate supervision policy will prepare you for a successful relationship with your supervisor. It outlines the responsibilities and expectations in a student-supervisor relationship.

Finding your supervisor

There is some variation when it comes to academic supervision at UVic, so be sure to confirm the specific details with your academic unit. You may be assigned a supervisor or be expected to find your own. Contact your program adviser or grad secretary to find out details.

Regulatory approval for research

You’ll need regulatory approval if your research involves:

You must have regulatory approval for your research before funds are released and your research begins.

Contracts & agreements

Research Services can help you develop, review, negotiate and finalize contracts and agreements with potential industry sponsors.

More information

For more information on research as a graduate student, including policies, procedures and contracts, check out info for current graduate students.

Need help?

If you need help with contracts and agreements, contact the Office of Research Services at 250-472-4362.