Skip to main content

New graduate students

student in lab

Congratulations on being accepted to the University of Victoria! Here are some of the things you’ll want to be aware of as you prepare for your studies with us.

Accept your offer

First, you need to accept your offer of admission. Contact the Graduate Admissions and Records Office (GARO) at the email address indicated in your admission letter to secure your place.

Set up accounts

When you applied to UVic, you received your official student number. With this number, you can register for a NetLink ID. Your NetLink ID gives you access to a range of UVic computer systems and services, including the Online tools portal.

Online tools is where you can access your student record, update personal information and register for courses. Once you have registered for your courses, you'll be able to create your UVic email account.

You can also update or change your online name and preferred email address.

Orientation programs

We offer an orientation program specifically for new graduate students before the fall term begins. If you’re starting in January or May, you’re invited to attend the January/May orientation programs for all students.

The Graduate Students’ Society usually hosts informal social events for new and returning grad students.

Academic supports

There is some variation when it comes to academic supervision at UVic. Be sure to confirm your specific details with your academic unit. 

Connect with your academic supervisor. They’ll help you plan your thesis, research project or dissertation.

Check in with your advising and program contacts if you have specific questions or need help.

Register for courses

You’ll need your NetLink ID to register for courses.

Registration is done through Online tools. You’ll be notified of your registration date and time by email.

We send you these instructions:

  • in early June for September-April (fall and spring terms) courses
  • in March for May-August (summer session) courses

Talk with your supervisor or academic adviser about how to choose your courses.

Pay your tuition fees

There are a few ways you can pay your tuition fees.

Get your student ID card

Changes to your bus pass

As of September 2023, you’ll need to use the BC Transit UMO App or a physical BC Transit card to show proof of payment on city buses. The UVic ONECard will no longer operate as your bus pass.

Learn more about bus pass changes

Your university photo ID is called a ONECard. It’s your official identification card and campus debit card, and you’ll use it throughout your full course of study. It’s also your library card and athletics pass.

Upload your photo online and the ONECard office in the Jamie Cassels Centre lobby will print your new card and have it waiting for you to pick up whenever you’d like. 

Academic calendar

Consult the graduate academic calendar to learn about UVic policies, program guidelines and course options.

Note the dates and deadlines important to your program, fees and funding or graduation. It's also helpful to know which holidays the university observes.

Health & dental coverage

View the Graduate Students’ Society health and dental plans for information about medical and dental insurance.