Skip to main content

Co-op program

two students referencing book

The University of Victoria is home to the largest graduate co-op program in Canada. Co-op is a valuable addition to your master’s or doctoral studies.

One third of co-op students find permanent positions with their former co-op employers after graduation.


Co-op is available to graduate students in most program areas.

Grad students are also eligible for the shorter Work Experience Program.

Your graduate adviser and department will determine if you're eligible for the co-op program.

Co-op & your graduate research

Grad students often do co-ops related to their final projects, theses or dissertations. There are three general ways to find a co-op:

  • apply to jobs posted by employers
  • talk to your co-op coordinator and arrange funding for a job specific to your research
  • count your current research project as a co-op term. This may be possible if your work with a faculty member or industry partner is contributing to your graduate research project.

Academic credit

Grad students earn 3.0 units of credit for each co-op work term completed. These credits go towards the co-op designation. You'll receive this on your parchment upon graduation.

These co-op credits do not replace the credits you need to complete your academic program.

You’ll have full-time student status during your co-op work term.

How to apply

Look up your co-op program for application details.

If you have questions, contact your co-op office or contact us at or 250-721-7628.