Skip to main content

Contracts and agreements

We manage the coordination, development, review, negotiation, and finalization of a wide range of funded and non-funded research agreements and contracts.  We ensure compliance with UVic policies and practices, including facilitation of review through multiple UVic offices and units, following agreements through from start to completion.

Pre-review checklist

To submit a new contract for review or development, email with any draft agreements or deadlines.  We will only review or draft agreements submitted with the following:

  • Approved Research Application Summary Form (submitted through RAIS)
  • Project budget (if applicable)
  • Project proposal 

If you're at an early stage or need assistance developing a partnered research project, please connect with the Research Partnerships team. If you require assistance with your RAIS submission, contact your Faculty Grants Officer.

Review and negotiations

If UVic is named as a party to an agreement, it must comply with the External Research Funding Agreements Policy, Research Policy and Signing Authority Policy. Research Agreements Facilitators coordinate the development, review, negotiation and finalization of research agreements to ensure that terms and conditions are consistent with UVic standards.  The Research Agreements Facilitator will work with you and negotiate the terms of the agreement with the external party.

Agreements may be reviewed by General Counsel’s Office; Privacy and Access to Information Office; Risk Management and Insurance; Occupational Health, Safety and Environment; Research Partnerships; Research Security Unit; and University Systems as part of this process.

Note: Adjunct professors cannot be the Principal Investigator for funding agreements. Adjuncts will need a tenured faculty member (associate or full regular professor) to be the principal investigator of record.

Contract Approval Form

Once an agreement has been finalized, a Contract Approval Form (CAF) will be sent to the Principal Investigator for signature. By signing the CAF, the Principal Investigator confirms that they have read the agreement in full and agree to abide by the terms as they are laid out.


Once a signed CAF is received, the Research Agreements Facilitator will coordinate the signature process in accordance with the UVic Signing Authority Policy. Researchers, faculty members, chairs, deans, and centre directors are not authorized to sign research agreements on their own. Once signed, a copy of the fully executed agreement will be sent to the Principal Investigator and signers. The signed agreement will also trigger Research Finance to assign a FAST account for any incoming funds.

Project Participant Agreement

The Project Participant Agreement (PPA) binds any individual working on the research project to the terms of the agreement. It confirms that the individual has read the agreement and will comply with the contractual obligations, as well as obtaining any necessary licenses required for UVic to fulfill the terms of the agreement. The Research Agreements Facilitator will provide the PPA to the research team, along with any instructions.

For more information about PPAs, please see our PPA Frequently Asked Questions.

Research agreements

We assist UVic researchers with a wide range of funded and non-funded agreements. If you are unsure of the type of agreement necessary for your project, please contact us.

Funded research agreements

Sponsored research agreements, Grant Agreements, or any agreement involving the provision of funding for research.

Non-funded research agreements

Collaborative Research Agreements, MOUs, and other agreements setting out the arrangements for joint research.

Material transfer agreements

Material transfer agreements (MTAs) transfer material to or from UVic.

Non-disclosure agreements

Non-disclosure agreements (NDAs) allow the exchange of confidential information, both oral and written, between organizations at the project development stage.   

UVic’s Research Policy does not allow secret research, so it is impossible to agree that no information about a research project will be disclosed; however, when appropriate UVic can provide the assurance that third party confidential information will be protected. 

Intellectual property agreements

The UVic Policy on Intellectual Property governs copyright ownership and use of IP created by members of the university in their university-related work and/or using university resources. Research Agreements Facilitators work to ensure that agreements comply with the UVic policy.

To discuss commercializing IP or developing an IP framework with your research partner,  please get in touch with an Innovation manager.

Facilities and equipment use agreements

Facilities or equipment use agreements grant access to UVic lab space or research equipment. In some cases, equipment may be loaned by UVic to another party.

Network and affiliation agreements

Network or affiliation agreements set out governance and guiding principles for multi-organization projects, including roles and responsibilities of specific collaborating organizations to the network as a whole.

Data sharing agreements

Data sharing agreements (DSAs) are required when sensitive data or information is being shared between institutions. A DSA sets out the terms and conditions for collection, transfer, use, storage and security.

UVic express and standard form agreements

The Research Partnerships Office has established standard terms that can be used for certain awards and partnered research projects. Our Express Research Agreement includes an Acknowledgment and Agreement form with a link to terms and conditions, and is accompanied by detailed instructions. Any questions about the standard terms can be directed to


Mitacs Accelerate internships and Mitacs Elevate fellowships allow UVic graduate students and postdoctoral fellows to intern with local businesses and conduct research that has industrial relevance.

Mitacs program information, including details of available funding and intern/sponsor eligibility criteria is available at:

Intellectual property arising from a Mitacs Accelerate or Elevate project may be sponsor or creator-owned. At the application stage the intern, academic supervisor, and sponsor must confirm through the Acknowledgment and Agreement which terms and conditions will apply to the proposed project. Without such confirmation, the ‘Sponsor-Owned Terms’ shall apply. Submit the completed Acknowledgment and Agreement through RAIS with the Mitacs application.

NSERC Alliance

The Alliance grant program of the National Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) offers funding to support research collaborations between university researchers and partner organizations, which can be from the private, public and not-for-profit sectors.

Application Instructions

  1. Connect with to discuss if your project is appropriate or to be directed to a custom agreement.  
  2. Submit a Research Application Summary Form through RAIS, any required NSERC forms, and, if appropriate, the Acknowledgment and Agreement to Accept Standard Terms.

Other Sponsored Projects (including NSERC Alliance-Mitacs)

The standard terms can sometimes be used for other collaborations between researchers and partner organizations from the private, public and not-for-profit sectors. Check with  that your project is appropriate or to be directed to a custom agreement.

SSHRC Partnership and Partnership Development Grants

SSHRC Partnership Grants and Partnership Development Grants provide support for formal partnerships between post-secondary institutions and one or more organizations from the public, private and not-for-profit sectors.

A non-binding Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) is often included as evidence of the intended partnership in the application material. A standard form MOU can be requested through If you need assistance developing or customizing MOU terms with a community partner, please connect with

Unless otherwise agreed on, the project terms will govern the partnership if funded by SSHRC.

Need help?

For new inquires, email