Fine Arts academic advising

Fine Arts building, room 119
Email advising: 
Provide your full name and student number with each request. 

Drop-in advising hours (same day, sign-up appointments)

Day Time
Monday 9:20 a.m. — noon
Tuesday 1:20 p.m. — 4:00 p.m.
Wednesday*    9:20 a.m. — noon
Thursday 1:20 p.m. — 4:00 p.m.
Friday* 9:20 a.m. — noon

This schedule is subject to change. Please check back on the day of your visit.

*Due to a special event, drop-in advising will open at 10:05 am on Wednesday and Friday this week (January 24 and 26). The sign up sheet will be posted at 8:30 am on these days only.

  • 20-minute drop-in appointments are available Monday through Friday alternating mornings and afternoons.
  • A sign up sheet will be available by 9:20 a.m. for the morning session or 1:20 p.m. for the afternoon session on the day of.
  • Photo ID is required (UVic student card preferred)
  • Email advising is available weekdays. Include your full name and student number.
  • If your degree program has already been declared, please view your degree evaluation (CAPP) report at My Page first. 
  • Please note: the Fine Arts Advising Office is closed on all university holidays.

Topics the advisor can help you with

For advising about graduate programs, please contact the applicable Fine Arts department.

Registration help

Start planning your registration well in advance of your registration date. Review:

  • UVic’s Registration Guide (see Step-by-Step tutorials)
  • How UVic Courses Work
  • The course description for prerequisites, co-requisites, and year restrictions as applicable.
  • The detailed course schedule entry to view any applicable notes or department, major, or year restrictions by course section.

If your question is not answered by the resources above:

  • For general registration help contact Student Support Services:  or (250) 721-8121. Be sure to include your full name, student number, the course code, section number, and CRN with each request. Attach a screen shot of any error messages you need help to interpret.
  • Contact the course department directly for permission to register or questions about prerequisites (including waiver requests based on transfer credit). Departments will often include helpful resources for undergraduate students on their websites. The departmental secretary, administrative officer, undergraduate area advisor, and/or chair are available to assist students with department-specific requests.
  • If you want to register in a course that is reserved for a specific program, you may need to apply by advertised deadlines and meet admission requirements. Requests to add a Minor, or second Major program, or declare Honours should be submitted to your faculty advising centre at least six to eight weeks prior to your registration date. During peak periods requests to modify a program may take six to twelve weeks to process.

Program requirements / Declare your major

Review UVic's Program Planning Guide (see "program outlines" and "courses for first-year students").

On completion of year one (at least 12 units) request to declare your major in order to gain access to a custom online degree evaluation (CAPP) report that will help you track the requirements for your chosen program(s) to graduation. Contact the Fine Arts Advisor by email or drop-in to make your request.

  • Program requirements can change from year to year, so make sure you have the current year’s Calendar when preparing for registration.
  • Degree requirements are normally determined by the Calendar edition in effect in the term of entry to the fine arts faculty or program.
  • Remember, the ultimate responsibility for academic success lies with you, so understanding course and program requirements is in your own best interest.

Permission to study elsewhere

Letter of Permission

  • Fine arts students who want to take a course at another college or university as a "Visiting Student," must request a Letter of Permission from the fine arts advisor. Ony those who are registered as degree students with at least 6 units complete or registered at UVic are eligible for a letter.
  • Up to five courses will be authorized on one letter. The fee for each letter is $10. Students who request transfer credit without a paid letter of permission will be charged a $45 document evaluation fee by Undergraduate Records.
  • To make a request for a letter, email with your name and student number, the name of the institution you want to attend, up to four course codes and titles, and the expected start and end dates for each. Please expect a minimum of 5-10 business days for processing (longer if a transfer credit evaluation is needed first).
  • Once your letter has been issued, an informational hold will appear on your administrative transcript until you submit an official transcript to the Undergraduate Records office with your final grade(s) or to show course withdrawal. Your transcript is due as soon as the studies are completed.

Students using transfer credit

It is a student's responsibility to ensure all degree requirements are met. Students using transfer credit toward a UVic degree must consider the following limitations:

  • at least 18 of the 21 units upper-level courses required at minimum for graduation should be UVic courses
  • no more than 6 of the upper-level units required for the Honours Program may be taken elsewhere
  • no more than 3 of the 15 upper-level units required for the Major Program may be taken elsewhere
  • no more than 3 of the 9 upper-level units required for the Minor Program may be taken elsewhere

Transfer credit permission letter

A letter of permission will clarify how credit will transfer to UVic (no credit, level credit, course credit), but not how it will apply to your degree. Transfer credit is only awarded for courses completed successfully. If credit for any of the course(s) listed above, or their equivalent(s), has been previously obtained, no further credit will be granted. Consult the Calendar regulation on repeating courses that also applies to transfer credit received for courses taken elsewhere.

Academic standing

Grades do not transfer to your UVic transcript, although grades for studies elsewhere are included in sessional GPA calculations to determine academic standing (in good standing, academic probation, or required to withdraw) and are also reviewed for any relevant program requirements. Upper-level courses taken elsewhere are not used in calculating the student’s graduating grade-point average.

Graduation deadline for transcripts

Graduation will not be permitted until all transcripts for issued letters are received. The final deadline for transcripts is February 15 for Spring graduation and September 10 for Fall graduation.