Skip to main content

Academic concessions & accommodations

If your academic courses are affected by illness, accident or family affliction, you may wish to request an academic concession.

Are you a student with a learning disability, ADHD, mental health issue or long-term recurring physical or sensory disability? Do you have chronic health issues? If you do, UVic provides academic accommodations to address barriers to your education.

Academic concessions & deferrals

In cases of illness, accident or a family emergency, you can apply for an academic concession.

Undergraduate students

Submit a request for academic concession within 10 working days of the end of the examination period of the term you took the course in. If you submit your request after this date, you may need to provide additional documentation to support the delay in submitting your request.

Graduate students

Graduate students must be continually registered with UVic. However, you can request a leave of absence for personal reasons or for medical, parental or compassionate reasons.

If you need more time to complete a course, talk to your instructor about an extension.

Medical documentation for absences

If you need to take time away from class because of injury, family or personal affliction, or illness, let your instructor know right away. If your academic performance is affected, you can ask your instructor for a deferral or substitution of a mid-term test or exam, or of other work due during the term.

Normally requests for deferrals and substitutions must be accompanied by a medical note. For the Summer 2022 term, you do not need to provide a note to your instructor as proof of illness, regardless of the length of the illness. This will help to contain and prevent the spread of diseases like COVID-19.

Academic accommodations

The Centre for Accessible Learning (CAL) arranges for academic accommodations to help reduce barriers. They provide different ways of meeting essential course or program requirements. Fulfilling these requirements remains your responsibility.

Accommodation examples:

  • note takers
  • sign language interpreters
  • extensions of exam writing times
  • distraction-reduced exam environments
  • classes in accessible locations
  • adaptive technology

We need extra time to put some services in place. The services that need extra time include:

  • course materials in an alternative format
  • sign language interpreting or transcribing
  • adaptations to a physical learning environment


Undergraduate students

Graduate students

Contact the ombudsperson

The Ombudsperson office is an independent, impartial, and confidential resource to help undergraduate and graduate students resolve problems or disputes fairly. You can contact the ombudsperson at any time to:

  • understand your options, rights and responsibilities
  • receive coaching on how to raise an issue or complaint
  • facilitate communication or problem solve
  • get assistance in the use of appeal procedures
  • investigate and make recommendations

This website stores cookies on your computer. These cookies are used to collect information about how you interact with our website and allow us to remember you. We use this information in order to improve and customize your browsing experience and for analytics and metrics about our visitors both on this website and other media. To find out more about the cookies we use, see our Privacy Policy.