Skip to main content

Graduation & convocation for graduate students

groups of graduating masters students

Graduation vs convocation

Graduation is the awarding of your credential (degree, diploma or certificate) by the University of Victoria Senate. You must apply to graduate in order to be awarded your credential and receive your parchment.

Convocation is a ceremony where your graduation is celebrated. Visit UVic Ceremonies for information about convocation, grad photos, guest tickets and more.

Graduation timeline

The timeline for graduate students is based on the term when you take your last course or defend your thesis.

If you're an undergraduate student, your application deadlines are different. Refer to the graduation timeline for undergraduate students.

Deadlines and approvals for graduate students

If your last course or thesis defense is in Fall 2023 (September - December):

  • Application deadline: November 15, 2023
  • Late application deadline*: December 31, 2023
  • Graduation approved by Senate: May 23, 2024

If your last course or thesis defense is in Spring 2024 (January - April):

  • Application deadline: February 15, 2024
  • Late application deadline*: April 30, 2024
  • Graduation approved by Senate: May 23, 2024

If your last course or thesis defense is in Summer 2024 (May - August):

  • Application deadline: July 15, 2024
  • Late application deadline*: Aug 31, 2024
  • Graduation approved by Senate: October 23, 2024

*Late applications are subject to additional fees. If you miss the deadline, you can apply for a future graduation period.

Application fees

You must pay your application fee online when you submit your application (Visa, MasterCard and American Express accepted). The application fee is non-refundable and non-transferable.

  • Application fee: $44
  • Archival fee (Thesis/Dissertation students only): $15
  • Late application fee: $10

Review your eligibility to graduate

Your Curriculum, Advising and Program Planning (CAPP) report will show you the graduation requirements for your program. With your supervisor, review the requirements and establish a timeline for completion to make sure you will complete your requirements in time for graduation.

The graduate secretary in your department will create a Letter of Recommendation and other forms, which will be sent to the Graduate Admissions and Records office for review. Contact your graduate secretary if you have questions about your department's process.

Apply to graduate

Before you submit your application, make sure your preferred email address, phone number, and mailing address are up to date in Online tools. We'll use your preferred email to contact you about your application to graduate.

Review the graduation timeline and application fees, then submit your application by the deadline.

  • The application will display your current declared program(s).
  • If part of your declared program is missing or incorrect, you must indicate it on your application.
  • You must submit a separate application for each credential you plan to graduate from.

We'll notify you by email when your graduation has been officially awarded or if there are any issues with your eligibility to graduate. If you fail to respond, your application for graduation might be cancelled.

Your parchment and other graduation documents

A parchment is an official document that shows you have successfully completed an academic program. You'll receive your parchment after your graduation has been approved by the UVic Senate. Graduates can also order:

  • Degree completion letters
  • Invitation letters for international convocation guests
  • Certificates of degree completion
  • Replacement parchments

Parchments and other graduation documents

Need help?

If you need to change information on your application or if you have any questions, contact or 250-472-4657.