Skip to main content

Graduation & convocation

groups of graduating masters students

Graduation vs convocation

Graduation is the awarding of your credential and degree parchment (diploma) by the University of Victoria Senate. You must apply to graduate in order to be awarded your credential and receive your diploma.

Convocation is a ceremony where we present graduates with their degree parchments (diplomas). UVic holds convocation ceremonies in June and November, and attendance is optional.

Review your eligibility to graduate

Your Curriculum, Advising and Program Planning (CAPP) report will show you the graduation requirements for your program. With your supervisor, review the requirements and establish a timeline for completion to make sure you will complete your requirements in time for graduation.

The graduate secretary in your department will create a Letter of Recommendation and other forms, which will be sent to the Graduate Admissions and Records office for review. Contact your graduate secretary if you have questions about your department's process.

Apply to graduate

Review the graduation timeline and application fees, then submit your application through My page by the deadline.

  • The application will display your current declared program(s).
  • If part of your declared program is missing or incorrect, you must indicate it on your application.
  • You must submit a separate application for each credential you plan to graduate from.

Graduation timeline (graduate programs)

Term of your final registration and/or thesis defence Application deadline Late application deadline* Senate approval
Summer 2020 (May-Aug) Jul 15, 2020 Aug 31, 2020 Oct 21, 2020
Fall 2020 (Sep-Dec) Nov 15, 2020 Dec 31, 2020 May 2021
Spring 2021 (Jan-Apr) Feb 15, 2021 April 30, 2021 May 2021

*Additional fees are charged for late applications.

Application fees

You must pay your application fee online when you submit your application (Visa, MasterCard and American Express accepted). The application fee is non-refundable and non-transferable.

  • Application fee: $44
  • Archival fee (Thesis/Dissertation students only): $15
  • Late application fee: $10

After you apply

Check your preferred email

We'll notify you when your graduation has been officially awarded or if there are any issues with your eligibility to graduate. If you fail to respond, your application for graduation might be cancelled.

Request a degree completion letter (optional)

If you need to show that your program requirements have been met and that you will be recommended for graduation, you can order a degree completion letter. International students may need this document in support of a post-graduation work permit. The letters are issued after all of your final grades appear on your transcript.

You can order a degree completion letter after your application to graduate has been received.

Register for convocation

You'll receive a convocation registration email in mid-March (spring graduation) or late September (fall graduation). Visit UVic Ceremonies for information about convocation dates, guest tickets, grad photos and more.

International convocation guests

If your guests need a visa to travel to Canada so they can attend your convocation ceremony, they might need an invitation letter. Complete the request for invitation letter for international guest to attend convocation form.

Your diploma (degree parchment)

Your diploma will display your faculty, credential and "Co-operative Education" (if applicable). Other graduation documents including your transcript, degree completion letters, and certificates of degree completion will display your full program details.



Your Name Here

to the degree of



Receiving your diploma

We'll email you to ask how you want to receive your diploma:

  • attend convocation and receive it during the ceremony
  • pick it up from the Office of the Registrar
  • receive it by mail

Make sure you have paid all your outstanding fees and fines. If you haven't, your diploma may be withheld.

Replacement diplomas

You can request a replacement diploma, which is a reprint of your original document. You might want one if yours has been lost or damaged, you have had a name change, or if you are converting your Bachelor of Laws degree to a Juris Doctor degree.

Name on your diploma

The name on your diploma must be your legal name, but you can choose to make the following modifications:

  • replace your first name with its initial
  • replace your middle name with its initial or choose not to display your middle name
  • include accents e.g. Zoë
  • display an alternate legal name, e.g. maiden name (with supporting documentation)

Except for accents, modifications that you make to your legal name for your diploma will also be made to your student record and official transcript. See use of legal name for more information on where we use your legal name and how to register a legal name change with us.

When you apply for graduation, you'll specify the name you want on your diploma.

Including your Indigenous or traditional name on the diploma

If you are an Indigenous student, you can include your traditional name alongside your legal name on your diploma. However, the application for graduation does not currently support many of the characters found in Indigenous languages.

Please submit your application for graduation without your traditional name. You can then send an email to with your student number and your full name as you would like it to appear on your diploma.

Post-Graduation documents

In addition to your degree parchment (diploma), these documents provide proof of graduation.

Official transcript

A "credential granted" section will be added to your transcript on your graduation date.

Certificate of degree completion

A certificate of degree completion bears the Registrar's signature and the university seal. This document can be provided to employers, agencies and in support of international work visas.

Need help?

If you need to change information on your application or if you have any questions, contact or 250-472-4657.

This website stores cookies on your computer. These cookies are used to collect information about how you interact with our website and allow us to remember you. We use this information in order to improve and customize your browsing experience and for analytics and metrics about our visitors both on this website and other media. To find out more about the cookies we use, see our Privacy Policy.