Skip to main content

Personal information & confidentiality

Personal information for all UVic students is stored by the Office of the Registrar and Enrolment Management (OREG). It's your responsibility to keep your information up to date.

UVic has policies to ensure confidentiality and protect your privacy. When parents and other family members are concerned about you, they might want to get more information or speak to others at UVic on your behalf. You should speak to your support network so they understand what you feel comfortable sharing with them.

Changing your personal information

You can change your preferred name and contact information at any time in your NetLink profile. To update your legal name or gender identity, you'll need to submit a request to OREG.

Confidentiality & information sharing

Under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA), the university cannot release your personal or academic information without your consent. You can grant consent by setting up a proxy.

In urgent circumstances when you can't provide consent, the university may disclose personal information as authorized by FIPPA. This may occur when there are compelling circumstances about the imminent health and safety of yourself or others at the university. This includes emergencies, extreme emotional distress, injury, interpersonal conflicts and other circumstances of this nature.

Setting up a proxy

Complete the proxy form to enable others to make inquiries on your behalf or have access to your UVic student record. This form grants access to academic records maintained by OREG.

  • Personal & biographical information
  • Registration
  • Grades and official transcripts
  • Academic standing
  • Scholarships and financial aid

To grant proxy for information held by other units (faculties and academic advising offices, the Centre for Accessible Learning, Residence Services, etc.), contact the unit directly.

Note: to protect your privacy, proxies that were granted when you applied to UVic expired when the admission process was completed.

What can and cannot be released?

Under FIPPA, we can’t release personal or academic information without consent. Read our Protection of Privacy Policy for more information.

The Privacy and Access to Information Office  responds to all freedom of information requests for the university. You can contact them for any questions, requests or concerns regarding privacy or access to information at UVic.