Employment with University Systems
University Systems posts employment opportunities for hard-working, motivated, innovative, skilled individuals on uHire. Check back frequently for new postings.
Some units in University Systems regularly hire UVic students for co-op work positions or as part-time employees:
Computer Help Desk
The Computer Help Desk hires 2-4 co-op students semester. These positions are posted on the Mycoop website. These students are typically from Engineering, Computer Science or Mathematics & Statistics departments.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
Work at the UVic Computer Help Desk is varied and dynamic, and offers students the opportunity to learn about computer networking, acquire multi-platform experience in a large network-intensive environment, improve your problem-solving skills and gain insight into the design of user interfaces. The Computer Help Desk Analyst provides support to University students, faculty, and staff in their use of the campus network, application programs, and operating systems: Windows, Macintosh, Unix. Part of your time will be spent studying and researching topics from our extensive resource materials.
Although preferred, extensive experience is not necessary for this position as we prefer students in their first or second years, with a systematic approach to solving problems, some basic technical background, research skills, a desire to learn, the ability to deal courteously and effectively with clients, and who would like to work with us on a part-time basis during subsequent academic terms.
Students are welcome to visit the Computer Help Desk in CLE A004 and ask the students employed there about their experiences working at the Computer Help Desk.
Initial Computer Help Desk Analyst positions are full-time, 35 hours per week, and are for one term only. Once a student successfully completes a co-op work term with the Computer Help Desk they may be offered a casual part time position in subsequent terms. The average salary range is between $16.00 and $23.27 per hour.
How to apply
All co-op postings are through the UVic Co-operative Education Program and Career Services online postings. Typically these positions are posted for one week at a time, re-posting until the positions are filled. Applications are accepted online only. Go to https://www.mycoop.ca and login using your NetLink ID and password to see our active postings and apply. Please note that you must be registered in a co-op program to apply.
For more information about Computer Help Desk Analyst positions for Co-op students, please contact Marcus Greenshields.
Student Computing Facilities
University Systems has several part-time Computer Facility Assistant positions available in the Student Computing Facilities located in the Business and Economics Building (SCFBEC), Human and Social Development Building (SCFHSD), Clearihue Building (CLCF) and in the Computer Assisted Language Learning (CALL) Facility. These positions are only open to students currently enrolled in an academic program at the University of Victoria. International students holding a valid study permit may apply, however, they must be registered in a minimum of 12 academic course units between September and April. The number of available positions is subject to funding availability and/or course cancellation. Positions are subject to a 4 month probationary pay rate and two 4 month probationary periods as per the CUPE 4163 contract.
Typical duties and responsibilities
- Assist in the daily operation of the student computing facilities and provide assistance to the students, staff and faculty members who use the facilities.
- Assistance may include instruction in the use of the primary software, standard workstations, and specialized support equipment in the individual computing facilities.
- Allocate facility resources to University members on an as needed basis; this may include distributing teaching materials and resolving contention for workstation time.
- Perform periodic maintenance of hardware, cleaning, maintaining facility records, and other duties similar in scope and nature.
- Ability to communicate courteously and effectively in English with students, faculty and staff.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others and work well under pressure.
- Ability to easily learn and clearly impart knowledge about new hardware and software.
- Ability and willingness to learn software packages used in the facilities.
- Familiarity with software including: e-mail, word processing, spreadsheets and statistical.
- Familiarity with Macintosh, Windows and Unix based operating systems and related PC and Mac peripherals.
- Ability to identify, analyze and solve basic problems of computer users.
- Willingness and ability to work all shifts as scheduled with minimum supervision. Punctuality is a must.
- Familiarity with computer networks and the Internet is desirable.
Varied shifts are available and will be scheduled around your student timetable. Average weekly hours are approximately 8-14 hours and the salary range is between $13.76 and $14.11 per hour. Hiring is done before each term.
How to apply
Positions are posted on the Learning in Motion website several weeks before each term. Please follow the instructions in the posting to apply. You will be expected to submit a cover letter, your resume, at least two references and your class schedule/availability. Your response will be evaluated based on your interpersonal skills, communication skills, work ethics, problem solving and technical skills.
For more information about Computer Facility Assistant positions, please contact one of the following facility leads directly: