Funding your education

We understand that students have more important things to worry about than money. We're here to help. There are scholarships, bursaries, and employment opportunities available for EPLS students to keep you focused on textbooks instead of bank books.

Tuition and awards

Visit the Graduate Studies website for information on tuition, fees and budgeting.

View awards for education students.

Fellowships and scholarships

There are various fellowships and scholarships awarded to students. In general, these are granted on an academic basis:

  • UVic awards a limited number of graduate fellowships for full-time study. The awards are competitive and based on academic standing. All students admitted to the program and assessed with a 7.0 or higher GPA will be considered.
  • A small number of donor awards are available to students each year. Students will be notified in August of each year on how to apply for these awards.
  • Students with strong GPAs are encouraged to apply for SSHRC fellowships early in the fall semester. These awards are competitive and based on three main criteria: academic excellence, research potential, and communication skills. MA students should consult with their supervisors to discuss application procedures.
  • A list of awards, such as the Canadian Institute for Health Research (CIHR), as well as other information on financial support can be found on the Graduate Studies website.


Bursaries are non-repayable awards based on financial need and reasonable academic standing. They are available both for graduate students entering UVic and those already attending the university. Bursary applications and eligibility information are available from the Student Awards and Financial Aid office.

Application deadlines are October 15 for the winter session (September-April) and June 1 for the summer session (May-August).

Paid work opportunities

Research assistants

Paid research assistantships are available with individual faculty members of the department. These assistantships are usually supported through grant funding and are only available to a limited number of qualified students. Students interested in research assistantships should contact faculty members directly or review postings on our website.

Teaching assistants

Paid teaching assistantships are available to a limited number of qualified EPLS students. The number of teaching assistantships varies each year. All TA postings will be sent to all EPLS graduate student via email or they can review postings on our website. Student have to apply if they are intersted in the postion.

Work study

The Work Study Program is funded by Student Awards and Financial Aid. The objective of the program is to provide additional financial assistance through on-campus part-time employment opportunities for students who have documented financial need.

The Work Study Program runs from September to April of each academic year and allows students to earn up to a maximum of $3,400 for this 8-month period. Students may only hold one work study position at one time.

Co-operative education and work placements

It is possible for graduate students to combine their graduate studies with co-op education semesters in which they apply knowledge and skills in paid work placements across Canada.

This usually involves extending program completion by two semesters. For more information, contact Co-operative Education.