Skip to main content

Tuition & costs

Graduate students at UVic don’t pay tuition per course. Instead, you’ll pay an amount assessed by your program as a total degree program fee. This fee is divided into fee instalments, which are charged in every term that you are registered. These fees are charged in September, January and May.

In general, the fees for a term may be made up of:

  1. one full tuition installment if you are taking 3.0 or more units of courses, or project or thesis
  2. one half tuition installment if you are taking less than 3.0 units and
  3. any other fees assessed for that term.

Most Master’s programs require a minimum of 5.0 fee installments over the course of the program, and most PhD programs require a minimum of 7.5.Exceptions can be found in the Graduate Calendar.

Estimate your tuition fees

This will give you a basic estimate for graduate students enrolled in full-time studies at UVic.

These tuition fees are current as of May 1, 2024 and are subject to change.

Paying your tuition fees

There are a few ways you can pay your tuition fees.

Graduate student tuition income offset plan

The graduate tuition income offset plan lets you pay tuition fees in four equal instalments over each four month term. These four instalments are automatically taken from your bank account on the last business day of each month.

Student fees

Most students pay ancillary fees in addition to their tuition. These fees pay for services like your U-Pass bus pass, extended health insurance and athletics and recreation access. Find a full list of these fees in the graduate academic calendar.

All graduate students are automatically charged for the U-Pass bus pass. There are very limited conditions under which a student can opt out of the U-Pass program.

Medical insurance

You must have appropriate health insurance for the duration of your studies at UVic. The Graduate Students’ Society provides a mandatory extended health plan and a dental plan (in addition to regular medical coverage) for full-time graduate students. These plans are assessed to graduate students in September for 12 months of coverage or January for 8 months of coverage. You need to be registered in on-campus courses in 3 or more units to be assessed.

Do you already have extended health or dental from another organization? Learn how you can opt out of the extended health or dental plans.

Canadian students from other provinces can keep their home province’s health plan or switch to the BC Medical Services Plan (MSP).

International students

All international students must have health insurance while in Canada. If you’re an international student who plans to study in Canada for more than six months, you should apply for the BC Medical Services Plan (MSP) as soon as possible.

After applying for MSP, the processing time is around 90 days.

We provide a mandatory temporary medical insurance plan (MTMI) for all new international students to cover the period before MSP coverage. This one-time fee is charged to international students in their first term. It insures emergency hospitalization and medical services (including doctor's visits) for sickness or injury covered by the policy. This coverage is equivalent to BC MSP, which is not available to international students until they have been in Canada for three months.