Skip to main content

Special admissions information

There are ways to attend UVic without going through our regular admissions processes. Each circumstance has its own specific admissions process and requirements.

Auditing graduate courses

If you want to audit a graduate course at UVic, you must be a graduate student or hold a bachelor's degree.

Submit an application through our online application system, specifying your intent to audit. If your application is successful, you’ll need to submit official transcripts.

You'll also need to demonstrate your English language proficiency.

Audited courses will not appear on your official transcript and will not be considered for admission, prerequisite or course requirements.

Non-degree coursework

You can take graduate courses for credit without working towards a degree at UVic. Non-degree coursework is a great way to improve your GPA or learn new skills. You must apply and meet the same entrance requirements as degree-seeking applicants.

Before you apply, you should determine which courses you want to take as a non-degree student. List the department code and course number for these classes on your application (for example, ANTH 500). You can view a full list of graduate courses on our academic calendar.

Fees for courses taken by non-degree students are charged differently than fees for courses taken by degree-seeking students. Any fees paid as a non-degree student cannot be applied to a graduate degree later.

Specialized degree programs

Our specialized degree programs offer more flexible options, letting you build a degree that is right for you. These programs have specific requirements for admission.

Visiting students

Visiting students can experience UVic while still registered at their home institution. We welcome graduate students from other universities for both study and research.

Need help?

If you have a general question about applying to or studying at UVic, contact one of our UVic student recruiters.

If you have a specific question about your program or application to UVic, contact your program's graduate secretary.

This website stores cookies on your computer. These cookies are used to collect information about how you interact with our website and allow us to remember you. We use this information in order to improve and customize your browsing experience and for analytics and metrics about our visitors both on this website and other media. To find out more about the cookies we use, see our Privacy Policy.