Skip to main content

Visiting students

There are a few different ways you can experience UVic while you are still registered at your home institution. We welcome graduate students from other universities for both study and research.

Visiting research students

Participate in vital research and experience our dynamic campus as a graduate visiting research student (GVRS). You’ll work under the supervision of a UVic faculty member while you’re here.

Note: If you are a graduate student at a Canadian institution wanting to visit UVic to conduct research, you could qualify under the Canadian Graduate Student Research Mobility Agreement (CGSMRA).  See the CGSMRA package for more details and how to apply. 

Step 1: Letter of agreement

Complete the letter of agreement form. You’ll need signatures from your UVic supervisor and your supervisor from your home university. You’ll also need a signature from the head of the academic unit you’ll be with during your time at UVic. Upload this form to your UVic application (see Step 2).

Step 2: Application

Complete UVic’s online application.

Make sure you apply as a “visiting research student.” 

If the term you want to apply to is no longer available because the application deadline has passed, contact Graduate Admissions and Records.

Upload your Letter of Agreement form under "Supporting documents".

You don’t need to prove English language proficiency for this application. Your UVic supervisor is responsible for language screening.

If your home university is outside Canada, you will probably need to obtain immigration documents. After you receive confirmation of your admission to UVic as a GVRS, contact the International Centre for Students for help.

Do not apply for immigration documents before you receive confirmation of your admission to UVic.

There are no application or tuition fees for graduate visiting research students. As a UVic student, you will have access to campus resources. These include UVic Libraries, campus computing facilities, Counselling, UVic Health and International Student Services.

You may be eligible to opt into membership in the Graduate Student Society (GSS). The U-Pass membership package includes a BC Transit pass. You can buy a membership package at the GSS front office in the Grad Centre.

We register all graduate research students into GS 503 or GS 504. These are visiting research courses. We do not charge tuition fees for these courses.

You can request a transcript from the Office of the Registrar after you complete your research activity at UVic.

If you wish to take additional courses for credit at UVic, you must apply through the regular admission process as a non-degree student.

Visiting students with a letter of permission

As a visiting student, you’ll take courses at UVic. The credits you earn at UVic will go towards your graduate degree at your home university.

Apply using our regular online application. You’ll need to provide a letter of permission from your home institution. The letter must include:

  • the session the permission is for
  • the specific courses you need to take while at UVic

Your application cannot be processed until the letter of permission is received by UVic. You must also provide transcripts and proof of language proficiency.

Western Deans’ Agreement

If your university is a member of the Western Deans’ Agreement, you can attend courses at UVic. You’ll earn credit towards your degree at your home institution.

Contact your home institution’s graduate studies office for application information.

Next steps

Once we confirm your admission to UVic, you’ll receive your UVic student number. You can use it to create a UVic NetLink ID and receive a UVic ONECard.

Once you’ve made arrangements to study at UVic, it’s time to plan your travels. Learn about living in Canada.

This website stores cookies on your computer. These cookies are used to collect information about how you interact with our website and allow us to remember you. We use this information in order to improve and customize your browsing experience and for analytics and metrics about our visitors both on this website and other media. To find out more about the cookies we use, see our Privacy Policy.