Skip to main content

Co-op program

Co-op student diver taking measurements on a reef

UVic is home to the largest graduate co-op program in Canada. You can add a co-op to most master’s and doctoral programs for work experience in your field of study.

Many graduate students launch their careers through co-op. Co-op students often find permanent positions with their former co-op employers after graduation.

Graduate co-op eligibility

Co-op is available to graduate students in most program areas.

Grad students in certain programs are also eligible for the shorter Work Experience Program option. This program is similar to co-op, but shorter and more flexible.

For both programs, you have to consult with your graduate adviser and department before we can determine your admission.

Co-op & your graduate research

Grad students often arrange co-op work terms that are related to their final projects, theses or dissertations. You can apply for jobs posted by employers or talk to your co-op coordinator to arrange funding for a job specific to your research area.

If you’re already working closely with a faculty member or industry partner on a joint endeavour that’s contributing to your graduate research project, you may be able to count it as a co-op work term. This arrangement would be at the discretion of your school or department. To find out if this is an option for you, consult with your co-op coordinator and graduate adviser.

Co-op designation

Grad students earn 3.0 units of credit for each co-op work term they complete. These credits go towards the co-op designation you’ll receive on your parchment upon graduation. These credits don’t replace the credits you need to complete your academic program. You’ll also have full-time student status during your work term.

How to apply

Look at your graduate program for specific application details. If you have any questions, contact the co-op office.