Skip to main content

Funding & employment

Every year, UVic awards $12 million to help fund graduate students through a combination of:

  • UVic fellowships and awards
  • teaching assistantships
  • research assistantships

Most of our students also receive external awards and scholarships, and financial aid and bursaries.

UVic awards & fellowships

We award funding to graduate students of high academic standing.

  • UVic fellowships of up to $17,500 per year (master’s) and $20,000 per year (PhD)
  • UVic graduate awards of up to $10,000 per year (master’s and PhD)

Academic units decide on specific funding details for their students.


  • Domestic and international students are considered equally for funding
  • You need an A- average on your last two years of course work. (This average does not guarantee that you will receive an award.)
  • Full-time registration (3.0 units) is required for UVic fellowships
  • Part-time registration (1.5 units) is required for UVic graduate awards
  • We consider 1.5 units full-time for students registered with the Centre for Accessible Learning (CAL)

You are automatically considered for these awards by your academic unit when you apply for admission.

Explore the full list of graduate funding opportunities available to you at UVic.

External awards & fellowships

There are a number of national and provincial granting agencies that fund graduate students and their research every year.

You’ll need to apply for each external award and fellowship separately. Each competition is unique, so be sure to read every application carefully.


We offer non-repayable bursaries based on financial need.

To be eligible for a bursary you must be:

  • Already receiving the maximum government student loans available to you
  • In full-time status as determined by the Faculty of Graduate Studies
  • In good academic standing

How to apply for bursaries

Teaching & research assistantships

Every year we employ many graduate students to assist with teaching, research and lab instruction.

Teaching assistants (TAs) are hired by their academic units to assist with teaching and grading courses. These are unionized, hourly positions.

Research assistants (RAs) are hired by faculty members to help with their research. These roles are sometimes called scientific assistants or laboratory instructors. RA salaries come from faculty members’ research grants. Because of this, RA hours, salary and other details are worked out between you and the faculty member.

Contact your academic unit’s graduate adviser for more information about these positions.

Co-operative Education Program (co-op)

UVic is home to the largest graduate co-op program in Canada. You can add a co-op to your master’s or doctoral studies for work experience in your field of study.

Work study

The work study program offers part-time jobs on campus that fit around your course schedule.

To be eligible you must:

  • Be a full-time student
  • Demonstrate financial need
  • Have a valid Social Insurance Number (SIN)

Need help?

If you have a general question about the application process or studying at UVic, get in touch with your UVic graduate student recruiter.

If you have a specific question about your program or application to UVic, contact your program’s graduate secretary.