Skip to main content


Co-op is optional for students studying the following graduate-level programs:

  • Counselling Psychology
  • Curriculum and Instruction
  • Educational Psychology and Leadership Studies
  • Leadership Studies
  • Master of Education

Office & contacts

Our regular business hours are Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Office: Human and Social Development A302

Co-op coordinator:
Barbara Svec

Co-op assistant:

Program facts

  • graduate level, optional co-op
  • 2 work terms required for master's students
  • 3 work terms required for doctoral students


Co-op students pay a co-op tuition fee for each work term. It's free to join co-op and attend the preparation course—you'll pay your tuition fee after you secure a co-op work term.

Fees per work term for graduate students:

  • domestic students: $746.06
  • international students: $938.38

Note that the graduate co-op tuition fee is different than the graduate installment fee. If you are a grad student and register for a co-op work term, during that term, you'll pay:

  • the grad co-op program fee  
  • the grad ancillary fees

If you register for a course (e.g. thesis 596 or 598) and a co-op work term in the same term, during that term, you'll pay:

  • the grad co-op program tuition fee
  • the grad ancillary fees 

Questions about co-op tuition fees? Email us or call 250-721-7032 for assistance.

Average salaries

You'll receive a salary from your employer during each co-op work term. Co-op salaries vary according to many factors, including:

  • your previous work experience
  • the industry you're working in
  • the responsibilities of your co-op job

Here is an average monthly salary for a work term:

  • education graduate student: $3,380

View salary estimates for all programs.

Work terms

Co-op work terms begin in January, May and September and are typically 4 months long.

  • master's students: 2 work terms
  • PhD students: 3 work terms

Learn more about:

Sample employers & jobs

You could work for:

  • government ministries responsible for education (K-12 and post-secondary)
  • adult education associations and professional organizations

Other options:

  • connect with your co-op coordinator to arrange funding for a job specific to your area of research
  • if you’re already working closely with a faculty member or industry partner on a joint endeavor that’s contributing to your graduate research project, you can count this as co-op work term
    • this arrangement would be at the discretion of your school or department through consultation with your co-op coordinator and graduate adviser

Get support

If you identify as having a disability or a mental health condition, or if you belong to an equity group, we can support your co-op experience.

We'll help you with every step, from applying to co-op to making sure you're supported at work. 

This website stores cookies on your computer. These cookies are used to collect information about how you interact with our website and allow us to remember you. We use this information in order to improve and customize your browsing experience and for analytics and metrics about our visitors both on this website and other media. To find out more about the cookies we use, see our Privacy Policy.