Application information

Admissions for September 2021 are now CLOSED.

You must have a BSW degree from an accredited Canadian program, or equivalent, to be eligible to apply to this program. For Non-BSW holders: please see the information posted on the MSW Foundation program.

The MSWA begins with a one week mandatory on-campus institute scheduled in August of each year. The remainder of the program is offered through distance education. For more information, please see the MSWA delivery method and course plan.

Our School is actively responding to the challenges of COVID-19. Those who apply should plan to attend the on-campus institute. If something is to change due to COVID-19, our School will contact all applicants directly.

The School welcomes and is actively recruiting applicants from communities that experience historical and present-day systemic discrimination and marginalization, and who are committed to social justice, equity, anti-racism and decolonization. In our admissions decisions, we will apply a decolonial equity framework which includes an intersectional lens and will prioritize applicants who are Indigenous, Black and people of colour.

Application process

The online application and required documents are submitted electronically using the My UVic Application service. Please be prepared to upload all required documentation at the time of applying. All application materials are due by December 1. Late applications will not be considered. Direct any questions about the online application process to Graduate Admissions and Records:

* Required documents will be hyperlinked on this page once admissions are open for the upcoming academic session.

The following Required Documents must be submitted:
  1. Statement of Intent 

    The Statement of Intent provides an opportunity for you to outline the degree of compatibility between our MSW Program and your interests and background.

    Tip: Before completing the Statement of Intent please review the School's Mission Statement and the detailed program objectives of the MSWA program.

    You are also advised to complete the “Self-Assessment” exercise to assess whether you have sufficient time and resources to dedicate to graduate studies.

    You must use the form-fillable PDF to submit your Statement of Intent (please note the maximum of 1000 words). Applicants should use Adobe Acrobat or an Adobe program to complete the form correctly.

  2. Experience Summary

    All applicants are required to have a minimum of 3000 hours of human services experience as of the application deadline date (December 1st).

    Do NOT include field placements, practicum placements, internships, or co-op work terms in this Experience Summary.

    Paid or volunteer human services experience can include, but is not limited to, work in areas such as health, education, housing, income security, economic development, social justice, justice and public safety, community development and/or policy/advocacy work.

    All applicants are required to complete and submit a detailed summary of their experience in the field, including the calculation of the total number of hours of experience gained prior to the application date using the form-fillable Experience Summary PDF. Applicants should use Adobe Acrobat or an Adobe program to complete the form correctly. Information submitted in any other format will be discarded.

  3. Resume

    An updated CV / RESUME is also required by the Faculty of Graduate Studies. Please ensure you include: Education, Employment, Volunteer work and any additional information on accomplishments & initiatives.

  4. References

    Two references are required. These may be two academic references or one academic reference and one employer reference.

    UVic uses an electronic reference system. All references must be submitted through the Graduate Admissions and Records Office (GARO) electronic submission system.

    You must enter the names and the e-mail addresses of your chosen referees as part of the My UVic Application process. Once you have submitted your application, Graduate Records and Admissions will send an e-mail request to each referee with instructions on how to submit their reference electronically. The online reference page allows referees to copy and paste a reference letter or additional comments to those required on the reference form. If one of your referees is having difficulty submitting a reference, please ask that person to contact GARO directly: 250-472-4657 or

    Academic references must be from post-secondary instructors from whom you have taken a taught, graded course (i.e., not from practicum or a field education placement). The employer reference must be from someone in a work setting and be from a person who has or had a supervisory relationship with you.

    Applicants are advised to choose referees that are able to comment on their ability to complete academic work at the graduate level, including writing and critical analysis skills, and who will submit a reference by the deadline. Referees have 2 weeks after the December 1st application deadline to submit their online reference form through the application system. References received after this date will not be used by the department to evaluate your application.

  5. Post-secondary transcripts

    Transcripts can be submitted as unofficial PDF files at the time of application. If you are offered a seat in the program you will then be required to submit sealed official transcripts from your post-secondary education.

* All application documents must be submitted electronically using the My UVic Application service by December 1st for your file to be considered complete. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered—no exceptions.


Notification of acceptance

Applicants for the MSW Advanced program will be notified of admission decisions by the end of March/beginning of April following the application deadline. The notification will be reflected on the applicant's My UVic Application profile and will be emailed to the address on the application. Please await confirmation until this time.

Contact information

Graduate Admissions and Records:
Front Counter:
Clerk responsible for Social Work:

Inquiries regarding the MSW program: 
MSW Program Assistant
Phone: 250-472-5622


Advice on obtaining required references 

All applicants must provide 2 references as part of their application package, one of which must be an academic (post-secondary) reference from an instructor who has taught them in a graded course. The second reference can be either an academic reference or an employment reference (this could be a practicum agency supervisor or liaison). We encourage applicants to contact prospective referees well in advance of the application deadline to ensure the timely completion and submission of references.

Because all references are submitted electronically on a standard form, employers sometimes find the form does not cover their experience with an applicant. If this is the case, it can be useful to have an employer attach a separate letter to their electronic reference detailing how they know the student and their assessment of your suitability for graduate education. Instructions on how to submit a letter in addition to the required form are provided on the reference form that the referee receives. An employer reference can come from someone who has supervised your paid work, or your volunteer work if no paid work reference is available. Please keep in mind that referees must have been in a supervisory position to youreferences from colleagues are not accepted.

A final word of adviceit is always best to find out first if a prospective referee is prepared to give a positive reference.

Reminder: all references must be submitted electronically through the Graduate Admissions and Records Office (GARO) electronic submission system. If one of your referees is having difficulty submitting a reference, please ask that person to contact GARO directly: 250-472-4657 or

Have you been out of school for a while?

We recommend that students who have been out of school for some time contact the institution/department where they completed their previous post-secondary degree to determine which of their former instructors is still at that institution. Contact that person directly to ask if they will provide a reference by the deadline date. If a former instructor has moved to another university, ask for their contact information and contact them there. It is often useful to remind instructor referees which courses(s) students took with them, when, what their marks were, and any other particulars students think will jog referee's memory. As a final option, if no former instructor is available, students can ask the school from which they graduated if the director or dean can provide a general reference based on their academic file.