Frequently Asked Questions

Our 2010 world premiere production of "Inside" by noted Canadian playwright Daniel MacIvor

How is your admission to the University determined?

The Undergraduate Admissions and Records Office considers:

  • a recommendation from the Department of Theatre 
  • grade point average (high school and any other post-secondary courses)

How many applications are received? How many people are accepted?

The Department of Theatre usually receives between 110-150 completed applications from prospective students, and normally accepts 60 first-year students.

Can I send an audition video or design portfolio?

Digital examples of your work can be sent to the department for review with your application. Any materials that you feel will enhance your application can be submitted, including (but is not limited to) audition videos, design portfolios, drawings, photos of sewing projects or a stage manger's prompt script.

Examples should be in a digital form using JPG or PDF files and YouTube or Vimeo links, and must be uploaded using the submission form. See Portfolio Examples under Applying to UVic for details.

How do I get into the Performance focus?

All students must take the required first-year theatre courses, including Introduction to Acting (THEA 120A).

At the end of the first year, interested students audition to be accepted into the Performance focus area, which begins in second year. The criteria for acceptance into the program include the results of this audition, the successful completion of first year theatre courses with a B+ average, and a B average for all courses combined.

What skills will I learn with a theatre degree?

Students in the Department of Theatre develop skills and gain experience in many areas of theatre performance, including acting, directing, design, technical and management skills. Students are required to develop excellent research, creative problem solving and writing skills and learn how to communicate effectively.

As early as second year, all students learn budgeting, people and project management skills, as they take responsibility for an important management role in our productions. As theatre is a social art and dependant on the collaboration of many artists behind and on stage, students especially develop excellent teamwork and interpersonal skills appropriate for working in the industry or any workplace.

Read Bruce Miller’s inspirational “What Theatre students learn”.

Do I need to register for both fall and spring terms at the same time?

Yes. Courses that extend over the full year – including many core theatre courses like THEA 105 – must be registered at the same time. Electives should be registered as soon as possible as some courses, especially English electives, fill up quickly. 

It is important that students are registered in a full time course load (12 units over the fall and spring terms) for student loans or awards administered UVic Student Awards and Financial Aid.

Do I have to take English? If I cannot register in a first year English course, what do I do?

Yes. To graduate, all theatre students must have 3.0 units of English credits as part of the outside electives. ENGL 135 (1.5 units) is required with 1.5 units of another English elective as part of the outside electives.

If you are unable to register in a first year English course in your first year, you can register in your required English course(s) in your second year. If you need further assistance, email 

Students are also required to take FA 101 as part of the outside electives.

Can I drop a course once I’ve registered for it?

Yes. Please see the list of important dates in the academic calendar for the deadlines to add and drop courses. Students should consult with Fine Arts Academic Advising to ensure that this decision does not affect your ability to complete your program in a timely manner.

Can I do a double major with theatre and another subject?

Yes! Students may elect to complete the Theatre Major as part of a Double Major program or a Joint Honours and Major Program (within Fine Arts or as an Interfaculty program).

Applicants from high school pursuing a Double Major should apply to Theatre directly and then request to declare their second program with the Fine Arts Academic Advisor  when first year is completed.

Continuing UVic students registered in other programs intending to apply to Theatre should consult both their faculty academic advising office and the Fine Arts Academic Advisor well in advance of the February 28 application deadline.

How much does the theatre degree cost?

Tuition fees for the Department of Theatre are the same as most other UVic undergraduate programs. Click  here to use the UVic tuition fee estimator program.

You will need to budget for more than just tuition fees if you’re planning to attend university. Check out this useful information about other university costs, living in residence or eating on campus.

I’m from outside of Canada. Do international students have to pay more?

Yes. Canada and British Columbia subsidizes the cost of an education for its citizens. Students from outside Canada are required to pay the international fees. See the UVic tuition fee estimator program.

What scholarships or bursaries are available?

We are pleased to offer a variety of scholarships and bursaries specific to Theatre students, as well as a range of funding open to all UVic students.

Why do I need special permission to have a part-time job, take an evening class or participate in a community theatre production?

It is possible to have a part-time job or take an evening class, however, many courses in the Department of Theatre require you to participate in the production of a Phoenix mainstage play and you will need to be available during rehearsal/performance times in the evenings as part of your course.

Special permission from the chair is required. for details.

Where will I live? Are there accommodations on campus for students?

Many students from outside of Victoria stay in UVic’s student residences during their first year. If you're a current high-school student in your graduating year, we guarantee you a space for your first year in residence.

Students also choose to live off-campus and rent apartments. As well as searching for available apartments for rent in the local media, UVic Housing’s website hosts a useful listing of availabilities in the community.