Field schools and courses

Student photographing Cuban city-scape

Students travelled to Cuba to participate in the Ethnographic Field School 2016: Media and Visual Anthropology under Transformation.

Students conducting field research in the Broken Islands

The 2016 Archeology Field School included two weeks of remote camp-based fieldwork in the Broken Group Islands in Pacific Rim National Park Reserve.

Student cleaning a gravestone in a cemetery

Undergraduate students documented the monuments in the Emanu-El Synagogue Cemetery as part of the 2016 Heritage and Historical Archaeology field course.

Carling Reid crossing the intertidal zone on Calvert Island

Archaeology field school student Carling Reid crossing the intertidal zone on Calvert Island to get sediment for screening.

Research in the field

Anthropology has a long and rich tradition of conducting research in "the field." You'll find our students digging at archaeological sites, observing primates in the rainforest, or conducting cross-cultural health research in downtown Victoria. Previous field schools have taken place in: Cuba, Drimolen - South Africa, Hakai, BC - Quadra Island, BC - the Gulf Islands - Salish Sea and Galápagos Islands, Ecuador

A field school consists of one or more field courses which are taught in "the field," during which students can learn important practical lessons of anthropological fieldwork as well as contribute to original research findings.  Individual field courses are also be held in Victoria and give students the opportunity to develop specific skills closer to home.

Field schools  and individual field courses prepare students for advanced course work and offer valuable, practical skills that can aid in finding employment in anthropological settings. Moreover, because you can't really know if you want to be an archaeologist, say, until you have spent a week face-down in a wet pit, the hands-on experience of a field school allows you to more fully appreciate the practical side of research and data analysis.

Dynamic learning during the summer.

Please email if you would like to be added to the field school and courses email contact list.

Undergraduate student advisers

The UVic calendar has general descriptions and prerequisites for Anthropology courses.

Anthropology's course lists have specific information about this year's courses.

, Cornett B219
  • general undergraduate advising
  • choosing classes
  • registration help
  • pre-requisite overrides
  • transfer credits
  • advice on your major or minor
  • and much more...

Undergraduate adviser: Cornett B211a

  • general undergraduate advising
  • choosing classes
  • oversees the operation of and changes to the undergraduate program
  • and much more...

Honours adviser:

  • looking for more information about  the honours program
  • already enrolled in the honours program and have a question

Taking courses at another institution as part of your UVic degree

If you’re thinking of taking courses elsewhere as part of your degree, you have two options:

• Participating in a formal exchange program
• Studying on a Letter of Permission (including field and language schools)

Students on exchange will work with their adviser to clarify exchange credit. For Letters of Permission, not all courses and programs are eligible for credit, so it is important to confirm before you start studying. A Letter of Permission will confirm whether a course is eligible and what transfer credit you will receive.

Here is the process for obtaining a Letter of Permission and receiving transfer credit

International student services (ISS) exchange program

Students participating in the exchange program study at one of UVic’s partner institutions. Participants will:

• Be supported by an exchange adviser - prior to departure, while abroad, and on return to UVic
• Gain international experience, while paying UVic tuition fees
• Receive exchange credit, which can be applied to the UVic residency requirement

Students interested in the exchange program can review the information online or meet with an exchange adviser in International Student Services.

Letters of permission and transfer credit

Students taking courses at another institution (including field schools and language courses) do so on a Letter of Permission, issued by UVic prior to beginning studies. The letter will:

• Confirm your enrolment at UVic and allow you to apply as a visiting student
• Confirm credit eligibility towards your UVic degree
• Clarify what transfer credit will be received for the courses you plan to take

Requests must be submitted before you begin courses and at least eight weeks in advance for international institutions.

Students can visit the Academic Advising Centre if they have questions regarding eligibility criteria, payment, or submission options for a Request for Letter of Permission form.

Barkley Sound, BC - Archaeology Field School

barkley sound field school

  • July 2-August 10, 2018


Cuba - Ethnographic Field School

cuba field school

  • May 13-June 3 (plus 2 weekends in March) 2018


2018 - Local Field Courses 

field courses

  • ANTH 367: Heritage and Historical Archaeology