Skip to main content

Central European University

Location: Vienna, Austria
WebsiteCEU Home Page (for more information, check out the Inbound exchange program website)
Language(s) of instruction: ​English
Terms: ​Fall semester (September-December) // Spring semester (January-March)


Central European University
  • Central European University is an undergraduate- and graduate-level “crossroads” university where faculty and students from more than 100 countries come to engage in interdisciplinary education, pursue advanced scholarship, and address some of society’s most vexing problems. 
  • CEU is accredited in the United States and Austria and offers English-language bachelor's, master's and doctoral programs in the social sciences, the humanities, law, management and public policy. Located in the heart of Central Europe, CEU has a distinct academic and intellectual focus, combining the comparative study of the region's historical, cultural, and social diversity with a global perspective on good governance, sustainable development and social transformation. 
  • CEU is one of the most densely international universities in the world. Its rare mix of nationalities, ethnicities, and cultures creates an ideal environment for examining such “open society” subjects as emerging democracies, transitional economies, media freedom, nationalism, human rights, and the rule of law. It also brings multifaceted perspectives to all aspects of community life.
  • At the core of its mission lies a set of principles: the pursuit of truth wherever it leads, respect for the diversity of cultures and peoples, and commitment to resolve differences through debate not denial.


 For accessibility information at CEU, visit their page on Services for Students with Disabilities. More info can also be found on their Accommodations page.

Area of study

  • Non-degree students need to take at least 50% of their courses (or ECTS credits) at their host department at CEU and are free to take the remaining 50% from any other department that offers courses related to the student's current studies. 
  • Check out the full course catalogue here


  • On-campus housing: Unavailable
  • Off-campus housing: Available

Medical Insurance, Immigration and Arrival

For the entire duration of their studies (i.e. for any period exceeding 3 months), a residence permit is required for all non-EEA citizens. You can either apply for a Residence Permit Student (German) from your home country or at the Immigration Office (MA35) in Austria.

CEA Residence Page

Medical Insurance Information

How to apply

Learn how to apply or sign up to receive emails about studying on exchange at a partner university. We will send you information about events, application deadlines, funding opportunities, and more!