Skip to main content

Immigration documents

The information below is specific to Canadian immigration documents.

If you plan to visit other countries, either on your way to Canada or during your time at UVic, you should connect with the appropriate representative of that country to inquire about the necessary immigration documents.

Notice: IRCC announces changes to Canada's international student program

On January 22, 2024, the Honourable Marc Miller, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, announced several measures intended to protect the integrity of Canada's international student program. These measures include new documentation requirements for most study permit applications submitted outside Canada.

Study permits

A study permit allows you to study at a designated learning institution in Canada, like UVic.

Learn more about study permits before beginning your studies in Canada.

Entry documents

Find out what entry documents you need before travelling to Canada.

Most international students need either:

US citizens travelling with a valid US passport, and US permanent residents with official proof of status, do not need an eTA or a TRV.

Applying for a study permit outside Canada?

If you require an eTA or TRV, your document will be issued upon approval of your study permit application. You do not need to submit a separate application for an eTA or TRV. 

Information on this page has been reviewed by Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants and Regulated International Student Immigration Advisors in compliance with the Government of Canada's Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.

If you are not an international student, you can find additional immigration information on the UVic Immigration web page.

Information can change without notice. For the most current information, visit Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.