Frequently asked questions

What is the difference between MA over a MEd? Is one better than the other?

The only difference between the two degrees is the thesis requirement (MA) vs. the project and comprehensive exam (MEd). The MA culminates in a thesis; whereas, the MEd culminates in a final written project and comprehensive oral exam.

Students who wish to conduct research should take the MA. You will work closely with a faculty supervisor whose interests are aligned with your own, and you will be mentored throughout the research process. Many students who choose the MA route are also interested in pursuing a PhD after completing the MA. 

Students who choose the MEd route wish to have the advanced graduate training without the requirement to complete a research project. The vast majority of students don’t wish to pursue further graduate work after the MEd.

There is no great advantage of having one degree over the other. The route you choose to take will be dependent on your academic and professional goals.

I’m interested in being registered as a psychologist. Does the Master’s in Educational Psychology lead to registration or licensure to work as a psychologist?

Neither of the current area program specializations (Learning, Development and Instructional Sciences or Special Education) are designed to lead to professional practice as a psychologist.

Is this a school psychology program?

We also do not currently offer a program in school psychology. If you are interested in becoming a psychologist, please see the College of Psychologists of B.C. website for registration requirements, including coursework, practica, and internship requirements of professional psychology programs.

What type of careers options can I have when I complete a Master’s in Educational Psychology

Our degree has been used in careers that evaluate, translate and apply research to practice in schools, government, healthcare, K-12 and post-secondary education and within community-based agencies.

Here are few job examples for our students: Community Development Officer, Education Policy Specialist, Executive Director of a non-profit, Instructional Coordinator, Youth Program Coordinator, Executive Government Positions, Program Leader in schools, Special Education Teacher, Learning Assistant in clinical or non-profit setting.

Can I complete this degree while having a full-time job?

Yes, we offer many of our classes in the late afternoon to accommodate professional work schedules. A large proportion of our students are currently employed full-time.