Skip to main content

Eligibility & medical insurance

We serve all UVic students who are currently registered in credited courses. If you’re unsure about your eligibility, please call us at 250-721-8563 or email us.

If you’re not a UVic student, there are other ways to access health care in the community.

Extended health

As a student at UVic, you’re enrolled in an extended benefit plan through the Undergraduate Student Society or Graduate Student Society. This coverage includes services like eye exams, prescription drugs, vaccinations and dental care. This is not a replacement for basic medical insurance (Medical Services Plan,, etc.).

Some students may opt out of this extended insurance. You can do this with proof of equivalent coverage through your parents or employer.

Additional fees

If you allow your health insurance to lapse, you’ll be billed for services at the time of visit. We will provide a receipt. You can submit the receipt to your health insurance once you are reinstated.

Some services may not be covered by either basic or extended insurance. These will be billed directly to you. Speak to the Student Welcome Team to determine the fees for services based on your situation.

BC students

In BC, the BC Medical Services Plan (MSP) covers basic medical costs. These include physician visits, specialist services, hospital care and diagnostic services.

Fair Pharmacare helps BC students cover the costs of medications. All students from BC should register for Fair Pharmacare.

Out-of-province students

For Canadian students, most services at Health are covered by Canadian provincial or territorial health insurance plans with exception of students from Quebec.

Students with Quebec provincial health insurance will be billed for services. You can submit receipts to your provider for potential reimbursement.

International students

International students who will remain in Canada longer than three months should register for the BC Medical Services Plan (MSP) as soon as possible upon arrival in Canada. MSP requires three months of residency before it activates.

Most new international students are automatically enrolled in the plan to cover them during their first three months in Canada. If you were not enrolled automatically, you may enrol in You should do this as soon as possible to get coverage before your BC MSP coverage is in effect.

If you need help, contact the International Centre for Students.