Anthropology courses are offered over three terms per year.

Undergraduate advising


Available Mon from 1:00-2:30pm by appointment for online advising.

To schedule an online appointment:

  • choosing classes
  • registration help
  • transfer credits
  • pre-requisite overrides
  • advice on  directed studies and your major or minor
  • oversees the operation of and changes to the undergraduate program

Honours adviser: Dr. Alexandrine Boudreault-Fournier

  • information about the honours program
  • already enrolled in the honours program and have a question

Coop adviser: Anaïs Holdaway or Linda Marlee

Get more information about Anthropology Co-op. Drop by to see Anaïs Holdaway, your Anthropology co-op coordinator in COR B138 (250-721-7358) or Linda Marlee at (250-721-8689).

The UVic calendar has general descriptions and prerequisites for Anthropology courses.

Anthropology's course lists have pdfs with the instructor's specific description of their course.

Anthropology Handbook: Describes the programs and opportunities for undergraduates interested in Anthropology.

Please note: The University reserves the right to limit enrolment and to limit the registration in, or to cancel or revise, any of the courses listed. The university reserves the right to cancel courses if enrollment is not sufficient. Preliminary lists of instructors and courses are subject to change. The curricula may also be changed, as deemed advisable by the Senate of the University. General information about the calendar includes: academic sessions, calendar changes, course values and hours, course experience survey, limit of the University's responsibility, program planning, privacy and access to information, notification of disclosure of personal information to statistics Canada, schedule of classes and the University's right to limit enrollment.

Taking Courses and Field Schools at other Institutions

If you’re thinking of taking courses and or field schools elsewhere as part of your degree, you have two options:
• Participating in a formal exchange program
• Studying on a Letter of Permission (including field and language schools)

Students on exchange will work with their adviser to clarify exchange credit. For Letters of Permission, not all courses and programs are eligible for credit, so it is important to confirm before you start studying. A Letter of Permission will confirm whether a course is eligible and what transfer credit you will receive.

Students at UVic who wish to take courses at another institution as part of their degree requirements must obtain a Letter of Permission prior to registration in courses elsewhere.   The letter of permission will help facilitate registration at the other institution and will clarify the credit at UVic for these studies elsewhere.

Students who intend to study at another institution within BC may be able to find equivalences to plan their studies through the BC transfer guide system.
Studies at institutions within the BC transfer system still require a letter of permission.  Here is the process for obtaining a Letter of Permission and receiving transfer credit

It is strongly recommended that you talk with your Undergraduate Advisor about any courses or field schools you want to take elsewhere.

International student services (ISS) exchange program

Students participating in the exchange program study at one of UVic’s partner institutions. Participants will:

• Be supported by an exchange adviser - prior to departure, while abroad, and on return to UVic
• Gain international experience, while paying UVic tuition fees
• Receive exchange credit, which can be applied to the UVic residency requirement

Students interested in the exchange program can review the information online or meet with an exchange adviser in International Student Services.

Letters of permission and transfer credit

Students taking courses at another institution (including field schools and language courses) do so on a Letter of Permission, issued by UVic prior to beginning studies. The letter will:

• Confirm your enrolment at UVic and allow you to apply as a visiting student
• Confirm credit eligibility towards your UVic degree
• Clarify what transfer credit will be received for the courses you plan to take

Requests must be submitted before you begin courses and at least eight weeks in advance for international institutions.

Students can visit the Academic Advising Centre if they have questions regarding eligibility criteria, payment, or submission options for a Request for Letter of Permission form.

If you are interested in UVic’s Exchange Program, see here 

You'll find information on our programs and opportunities in the Undergraduate Studies in Anthropology Handbook

Your Undergraduate Studies in Anthropology Handbook introduces many of the possibilities in the department.