Skip to main content

VIRS: Undergraduate

All Visiting International Research Students (VIRS) who are enrolled in an undergraduate program of study at an accredited or recognized university outside Canada and wish to engage in a research activity at UVic must do the following:

Apply for admission to UVic

Step 1: Visiting International Research Agreement (VIRA)

Contact the to request a template.

Your Visiting International Research Agreement must include signatures from:

  • the VIRS (you)
  • your supervisor at your home institution
  • your UVic supervisor
  • the unit head at UVic

Step 2: Application form

Complete the VIRS application form for undergraduate students.

English Language Proficiency is not a requirement for this application. Language screening is the responsibility of your UVic supervisor. 

Step 3: Verification of Enrolment

Prepare a verification of enrolment or a current transcript indicating registration at your home institution. This will demonstrate that you are enrolled in an undergraduate program of study.

Step 4: Submission

Submit the VIRA, the application form, and the verification of enrolment or transcript via email to the .

After you have submitted these documents, you will receive an email with your UVic student number and instructions for how to pay the non-refundable UVic application fee of $142 with a credit card. Alternatively, your UVic supervisor may be able to submit the payment for you.

All documents must be received and the UVic application fee paid before you can be admitted to UVic.

Obtain immigration documents

After you receive confirmation of your admission to UVic as an undergraduate VIRS, contact the  to determine what kind of immigration documents you need before entering Canada.

DO NOT apply for immigration documents before you receive confirmation of your admission to UVic.


UVic tuition fees and other student fees are waived for undergraduate VIRS.

As a UVic student you will receive access to campus resources, such as UVic Libraries, campus computing facilities, Student Wellness Centre and International Students Services.

You may also be eligible to purchase a University of Victoria Students' Society (UVSS) membership package, which includes a U-Pass for BC Transit, at the UVSS Info Booth in the Student Union Building. Alternatively, you can buy BC Transit tickets or passes at vendors throughout Victoria.

Course registration

All undergraduate VIRS are registered into a VIRS 300-level course. No tuition fees are charged for this course.

VIRS courses are graded (Pass/Fail) and you can request a transcript from the Office of the Registrar after you complete your research activity at UVic.

If you wish to take additional courses for credit at UVic, you must apply through the regular admission process.

Next steps

As soon as you receive a UVic student number (V Number), you can create a UVic NetLink ID and receive a UVic ONECard.