Skip to main content

Submission of documents

We’ll begin evaluating your file based on the unofficial documents you upload with your online application. If we offer you admission to a program, you must submit official documents to receive a final full offer of admission.

How do I submit my documents?

You must upload your unofficial documents when you apply. Unofficial documents include:

  • unofficial transcripts from all institutions you have attended (including UVic)
  • a copy of your CV/resume
  • any other individual program requirements

After you complete the online application, you can return and check your application to see if we need any additional documents. You can upload most required documents through the application portal. If you need help, contact the UVic Computer Help Desk. Do not send your documents by email unless we specifically ask you to.

If we make you an offer of admission, we need your final official transcripts. These should be sent directly to the Graduate Admissions and Records Office. We will accept official transcripts sent by students or dropped off in person as long as they are in a sealed/endorsed envelope. We will also accept transcripts electronically via a secure digital transcript service or emailed directly from the issuing institution (in PDF format) from a verifiable institutional email address. Electronic transcripts should be sent to

If you’re applying to more than one graduate program, you'll need to complete a separate online application for each. You must submit a new set of unofficial documents, assessments and application fee for each application.

Official documentation from applicants will be kept on file for one year. If you make a request, we’ll carry the official transcripts forward (if they were received within that year). You must upload a statement confirming that the content of the transcript has not changed.


Unofficial transcripts

You must upload unofficial transcripts from all institutions which you have attended.

Unofficial transcripts include:

  • photocopies which have not been endorsed as true copies by the issuing institution
  • transcripts which have been opened or which arrive without a sealed envelope
  • transcripts which have not been endorsed by the issuing institution
  • transcripts received electronically from the student

Official transcripts

We cannot provide a full offer of admission without the required official documents. If we require official documents, they’ll be listed in your offer of admission email.

Official transcripts and degree certificates are those which arrive in sealed envelopes. They must be endorsed by the home university (by signature, seal or chop over the closure). For more information, see the academic calendar description.

Official transcripts and/or confirmation of degree can also be received electronically. To be considered official, documents must be received via a secure digital transcript service or emailed directly from the issuing institution (in PDF format) from a verifiable institutional email address.

Certified photocopies are acceptable if they are endorsed by the issuing university. They must be sent in a sealed, endorsed envelope.

Official documents will not be returned. They become the property of the University of Victoria. If your originals are irreplaceable, you should submit copies for evaluation purposes. You must be able to provide the originals for comparison. Do not send official documents until all of your course work is complete and your degree is conferred.


If your academic records are in a language other than English, they must be:

  • issued in their original language
  • accompanied by certified English translations

If the institution you attended cannot translate the documents into English, you must find a certified translator. English translations must be literal translations of the original documents and must be certified by the institution that issued the degree.

English translations of French-language transcripts from Canadian institutions are not required.

Additional requirements for applications from Indian institutions

  • We require official copies of semester-wise statements of marks/marksheets for all years and a degree certificate. Official provisional certificates are acceptable if you graduated within the last three years and can’t obtain a degree certificate.
  • We must receive marks sheets and degrees directly from the university or institution that issued the degree. They cannot be from an affiliated college.
  • We do not accept consolidated or American-style mark sheets/transcripts, unless your institution does not provide semester-wise marksheets.

Additional requirements for applicants from Chinese institutions

We require an official transcript and a verified or certified copy of the official degree certificate. Degree certificates must indicate the date the degree was awarded.

Other required documents

Assessment reports

We need assessment reports from at least two academic or professional references who are familiar with your work. For some programs, professional references may be accepted in lieu of academic assessments. You need to provide the names and email addresses of your chosen assessors when you submit your application.

UVic will send information about the assessment form to your referees once you submit your application. In the assessment report, the referee will be asked questions about your academic ability and preparedness. We’ll collect the reference submissions electronically.

You may log into your application and return to the assessment section to review the status of your assessment reports. You can also make changes to your referee information or resend an assessment request, if you need to.


If required by your program, you can enter unofficial scores of external tests as part of your online application. If we offer you admission, you need to have scores sent directly from the testing agency to UVic.

The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is required for admission into some programs. To see if this applies to you, check the relevant academic unit entries in the calendar or on our program admission pages.

The Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) is required by the Faculty of Business for applicants to the MBA program. The School of Public Administration only requires the GMAT for international applicants.

English proficiency

You may need to provide proof of English language proficiency.

Additional program requirements

Individual programs may require that you send additional documents with your application. You’ll upload these through the online application portal.

Please review the individual program requirements or contact the relevant academic unit directly before you submit your application documentation. Make sure you’re submitting all your required documents at the same time.

Falsified documents

We routinely verify all documents. Evidence of falsified documents will result in applicants being banned from the university. We will share evidence with the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada and rescind and cancel your admission and registration.