Master of Arts in Counselling Psychology

The Master of Arts in Counselling Psychology (project or thesis based) assists students in developing the knowledge, skills, and understanding necessary to work as professional counsellors in a wide variety of settings. It is characterized by relatively small classes, ongoing contact with a program supervisor, and a focus on the practicum component of counsellor preparation.

Project-based MA 

The project-based MA program is considered a professional or terminal degree, similar to a degree in law or medicine, as students are being prepared to become working professionals in the field upon graduation. Students should be aware that most PhD programs require a Master’s thesis to pursue doctoral studies in Counselling Psychology.

You'll need to take a minimum of 27 units of course work and complete a project and comprehensive exam. It takes two years of full-time study to complete. 

See the courses you'll take (and practicum requirements).

Thesis-based MA

The thesis-based MA program is meant for individuals wanting to pursue doctoral level degrees upon completion of their degree. It involves a thesis, an independent research project of substantive involvement requiring a supervisory committee and external examination at the university level. Prospective students should be familiar with the research our counselling faculty are involved in.

You'll need to take a minimum of 28.5 units of course work and complete a thesis and oral defence. It generally takes three years (2 years for courses and 1 year for thesis) of full-time study to complete. 

Learn more about the courses you'll take (and practicum requirements).

Program schedules

The schedule of courses is subject to change each year based on course availability, but you can look at the current course schedule as an example of what to expect. The current recommended course schedule is available under Student resources

Specific details for each course that is currently running, including the weekday, time, room number and instructor, can be found in the Academic calendar