University Systems help centre
Connect to the UVic wired Internet
Although most offices have wireless Internet coverage, for security reasons, University Systems recommends that you use the port in your office when connecting to the Internet.
In order to connect to the Internet through your wall port, you must have the following:
- An Ethernet cable. Cables may be purchased from the UVic Computer Store if necessary.
- An Ethernet adapter installed on your computer. Most computers come with a pre-installed adapter.
- A static DHCP IP node. Contact your computer support personnel or the Computer Help Desk to setup a node for your computer.
- An active Ethernet port in your office. To activate a port or determine if it is currently active, contact the Computer Help Desk.
Once you have the required components, plug in your Ethernet cable to connect to the Internet:
- Plug your Ethernet cable into a data port in your room. Data ports are often labelled with a " D," whereas telephone ports are labelled with a "T."
- Plug the other end of the Ethernet cable into your computer.
You should now be connected to the Internet.
If you are experiencing problems, try the following suggestions:
- Ensure your wireless Internet is disconnected. Sometimes wireless networks can cause conflicts with other networks.
- If you are on a laptop, the easiest way to do this is to turn off the wireless button or switch located on your laptop.
- If you are using Windows XP, right click on the wireless connection icon in the bottom-right corner of your desktop and select Disable.
- If you are using Windows Vista, go to Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Manage wireless networks. Find your wireless network and click Disconnect.
- If you are using Windows 7, go to Start > Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings. Right click on the Wireless Network Connection and select Disable.
- If you are using a Mac, click on the AirPort icon, located on the top-right corner of the screen. Select Turn AirPort Off.
- Ensure your computer is obtaining its IP address automatically. For instructions on configuring your computer, select your operating system:
- Ensure you are plugged in to the correct wall port. Many offices have more than one port.