Funding your graduate studies

Making a commitment to study at the graduate level can be a difficult financial decision. Our department is committed to helping out all MA students in their completion of their program.

How much will my studies cost me?

Visit the Faculty of Graduate Studies' Tuition and Fees page to find out what costs are associated with your graduate studies at UVic. Budgeting information can be found here. You can also get a good estimate with the UVic Tuition Fee Estimator.

How can I fund my studies?

There is a wealth of possibilities not only to fund your studies but also to gain valuable professional and academic experience. 

You are guaranteed a minimum of $6000 for your first year of study if you are enrolled as a full-time student. Students who apply by February 1 of the year in which they plan to start the graduate program are also eligible for UVic graduate fellowships (between $10,000 and $15,000). A student who is a recipient of a SSHRC Scholarship can receive a President's Research Scholarship valued at $5000.

Students must remain in good standing in order to continue receiving financial support.

In addition, you will have opportunities to work as a teaching assistant, as a language tutor at the French Help Centre or engage in research by becoming a research assistant. Research assistantships may be offered by individual faculty members who hold research grants.

You can find other funding opportunities by consulting the  Faculty of Graduate Studies' financial aid and funding page.

We encourage students who have a high academic standing to apply for funding from the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada.

How about funding my research?

We can help you attend a conference at which you have been accepted to present a paper. The Faculty of Graduate Studies (FGS) and the Graduate Students’ Society (GSS) offer travel grants to support travel to conferences, meetings, workshops, or research activities. French and Francophone Studies also offers students who travel to scholarly conferences up to $600 if the FGS and GSS funds are not sufficient to cover all expenses.

How about if I study elsewhere?

Students in the French and Francophone Studies MA Program who are going to another Francophone university in order to complete part of their MA program will receive financial aid for their travel expenses, to a maximum of $900 (for travel within Canada or the US) or $1200 (for travel elsewhere).