Minor in Education

Outdoor non-formal education

Will your job entail any of these?

  • Museum guide
  • Community program leader
  • Tour guide
  • Training and education in corporate areas
  • Community art gallery programs
  • Workshop instructor
  • Parks guide
  • Staff development

Then the Minor in Education is for YOU!

The Department of Curriculum & Instruction is excited to offer a 9.0 unit Minor in Education, designed to focus on teaching and learning for non K-12 educators (volunteers and paid staff) of social agencies and/or businesses that have an instructional component to their organization.  Graduates of the program will have a basic foundation of learning, teaching, and instructional design to meet the needs of informal and non-formal education environments.

The program is not available for students currently enrolled in a teacher education program in the Faculty of Education.

To obtain a Minor in Education, you must complete 4.5 units of core courses and 4.5 units of approved electives.

Core Courses (1.5 units each):

EDUC 100 Introduction to Education

EDCI 335 Learning Design

ED-P 301 Internship/Community Experience

Approved electives* (4.5 units):

Choose three courses from the list provied below.  Other courses will be considered on a case-by-case basis by the program lead provided that they are oriented towards communication, marketing, or teaching and learning.  Consult an adviser in Education Advising at MacLaurin if you would like to take a course that is not listed here.

AE 306, 310, 314, 315, 317, 322, 330; EDCI 338, 339, 356, EPHE 142, 246, 242, 253, 270, 348, 351; ED-D 101, 316, 414, 417, 418, 423; IED 371, 372; IET 420, 430.

*At least 3.0 units must be taken at the 300 or 400-level

*200, 300 and 400-level courses taken for the minor cannot be used to complete the requirements for any other degree program.

How do I declare this as my minor?

It depends on your home faculty. For example,

  • If you are a student in the Faculty of Humanities, Sciences or Social Sciences, submit a program declaration online through My page.

  • If you are a student in the Faculty of Fine Arts, meet with an academic adviser in-person.

For more information please contact .