University Systems help centre
Installing a fax machine
Fax (facsimile) machines and modems are required to have a dedicated UVic local. Visit Order a new analogue line if you would like to request a new line or have an existing line converted to use for a fax machine, modem, alarm, elevator phone, or other purpose. To obtain a physical fax machine or fax modem, contact your Purchasing Department.
Troubleshooting fax problems
When you receive your fax machine, please adjust the parameter for re-submitting a fax on failed attempts. This parameter is typically set between 7-10 and should be reduced to 0 or 1. This determines how many times the machine will re-try the fax transmission. In some countries this is appropriate, but the UVic network and the public network is very sound and interference caused by the network is unlikely. Therefore, if a fax has failed, a problem usually exists and should be resolved immediately rather than after 7-10 retries. This is very important when sending faxes after hours (i.e. re-sending a fax 7-10 times at an inopportune time can be bothersome to the person receiving the fax).
The problem could be:
- the sender has the wrong phone number for sending the fax,
- the receiving fax machine is out of paper, not turned on, or has a hardware problem, and/or
- the sending fax machine has a hardware problem or the fax feeder cannot grab the fax document.
If it is a fax machine calling, transfer the call to a UVic local that has a fax machine connected to it. This is done the next time you pick up your phone and hear the fax tone. Once you have determined who has been transmitting a fax to your voice phone number, you can advise them of the error.
Sending personal faxes
Each department should consider the support of personal faxing. Personal faxing must be reimbursed to the department and deposited into the appropriate FAST code via Accounting Services. The cost to charge for personal faxes is decided by the owner of the fax machine. For inbound faxes, consider the cost of paper, toner, and administration. For outbound faxes, consider long distance and operator support costs. Personal fax services are available at the SUB (Student Union Building).
- Best practices for cleaning your phone
- Billing: Voice Service Charges Viewer
- Call flow patterns and options
- Dialing information
- Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
- Installing a fax machine
- Long distance privileges and authorization codes
- Long distance rates
- Making conference calls
- Manuals and reference guides
- Move or change the configuration of a local
- Ongoing telephone (VoIP) service rates
- Order a new analogue line
- Order a VoIP phone
- Public access telephones
- Telephone service issues
- Toll-free service
- Update your personal UVic directory listing
- Voice services billing information
- VoIP self services