Am I eligible for an employee bus pass?

If you are a continuing employee you are eligible to purchase an employee bus pass.  The university covers the other portion of the pass and you are taxed as it is a taxable benefit. Passes are on sale from the first business day after the 15th of the month and are available until the 10th day of the month in which they are valid. A Staff/Faculty card must be presented at time of purchase.

How are parking rates set?

Permit and dispenser rates are set by the Board of Governors.

Why do I have to pay for parking?

The parking program is wholly self-supporting, there are no taxpayer funds used to fund the parking program. Your purchase of a term or daily permit enables the University to build and maintain the lots, provide frequent patrols to parked vehicles and purchase supplies and equipment necessary to operate the program.

What do I do if my permit is lost or stolen?

If your permit is lost or stolen you must report it immediately to Campus Security, a report will be filled out and a replacement permit must be purchased at a cost of $10.00. By reporting the incident, you allow us to better track all missing permits and help ensure it is not being used by another person.

Can I get a refund on my annual permit?

Yes, annual permits can be returned for a partial refund up until the last working day in December of that permit year. A refund is provided based on a declining value of 20% per month. After the above date, there is no refund value.

Can I give my permit to someone else to use?

Parking permits are issued to one person and are for the exclusive use of the registered permit holder. Permits are not transferable to any other person, including roomates and family members. A permit is valid for any vehicle operated by the registered holder providing the vehicle (or its registered owner) is not suspended from parking on campus.

I have a Disability Permit. Where I can park?

There are over 70 disability stalls on campus located in every parking lot. You are required to display a valid disability permit and UVic parking permit. In the case of metered parking spaces you must display a disability permit and pay at the meter.

Temporary medical situations

If you have a temporary medical situation and you are ineligible for a disability placard, you may qualify for a Temporary Medical Permit. This permit allows you to park in reserved or general parking for the cost of a general permit. A doctor’s note is required for this limited time permit.

I forgot my parking permit, what do I do?

You are required to display a parking permit at all times when on campus. If you forgot your parking permit, you must purchase a dispenser permit for the day(s) required.

Parking lot full? Here are your best options for finding a space.

Parking can be at a premium depending on time of day and month of year. Many lots are full by 10:30 most weekday mornings. There is always space in Lot 10, off of Gordon Head Rd, Lot 7 off of McKenzie (beside the TEF Building) and Lot 5 off of Sinclair, beside the student residences. The campus can be travelled on foot from one side to the other in 10 minutes making these spaces a better option than circling a full parking lot.

When is pay parking in effect? When are the Traffic and Parking Regulations enforced?

Pay parking is in effect 24 hours a day, Monday to Saturday on campus except at the University Center Parkade and Ian Stewart Complex where pay parking is in effect 24/7. The University’s Traffic and Parking Regulations are enforced at all times.

If I have a loaner vehicle, can I transfer my permit on a temporary basis?

Yes, simply remove the permit and adhere it to the vehicle you will be using. This is intended for temporary situations only, transfers of longer duration must be registered with Campus Security Services.

How does the appeal process work?

Citations may be appealed within 14 days of issue.  The appeal process happens online and starts once the online form is submitted.  Appeals are reviewed by the Traffic & Parking Committee, a volunteer group made up of a cross section of the campus community which meets monthly.  Decisions will be sent to the appellant.  Please note: ignorance of the parking regulations, lack of proximity to destination, lateness of arrival, inability to pay, or improper parking by others do not constitute valid reasons for appeal. Please click here to go to the online appeal page.

Coming to campus for student move in/move out? What you need to know about parking.

Parking is at a premium during student move in/move out. There are over 2000 students arriving on a single day making the all areas around dorms and cluster very congested. Please remember that you must limit stopping or parking to designated areas only. Loading zones are scarce so try and limit the amount of time you park for. Pathways, grass, along curbs and fire lanes are not permitted places to stop, our officers will issue citations for parking in these areas. It is best to contact Campus Security Services before you arrive on campus to receive the latest information on parking.

Has your vehicle been immobilized or towed?

If normal enforcement action is found not effective or if a safety hazard is present, we may immobilize or tow a vehicle. Removal of an immobilization device costs $75.00. Towing is done by a private contractor, Totem Towing. They can be reached at 250-475-3211.

If I turn on my hazard lights, will I still receive a parking violation?

Yes. An inappropriately parked vehicle will receive a ticket with or without flashers.  

What do I do if I encounter a meter or dispenser is out of service or will not print a permit?   Can I write a note and place it on my dash?

An inappropriately parked vehicle will receive a ticket with or without a note. Parking enforcement personnel do not recognize notes as valid reasons for not displaying a permit or paying for parking.  You must find a functioning meter or dispenser in another lot.

What do I need to bring when I purchase an annual or term parking permit?

If you have never had a permit before, simply bring your vehicle registration. If you are renewing your permit, we only require you confirm your vehicle and residence information have not changed.

What do I do if I need to drop something off in a building?

Campus Security will provide a complimentary Restricted Areas Permit allowing you to park in loading zones for this purpose.  If you do not have this permit, you must park in designated parking spaces and pay for parking.  Restricted Areas Permits for larger deliveries can also be obtained on a case by case basis from Campus Security as well.