We can help with your shipping needs, and are authorized to ship dangerous goods around the world (except when/where prohibited).  Please allow 3-5 business days for us to process your shipment. Giving us a few days notice that you’re planning to ship can help ensure you get the ship date you desire.

Please note: We do not ship documents.  Nor can we ship for private companies or spin-off entities working on campus.  Thanks for your understanding.

We require a completed Standard Shipping Form for all outgoing shipments and any shipments you are arranging to UVic on our Fedex account.  Please following the instructions on the form.   Shipments should be dropped off at Stores before 11:00 AM so that we have time to prepare all the necessary documents and packaging.

** Please don't seal up or address your shipment box(es).  We'll want to take a look inside and make sure the internal packaging complies with regulations and best practices.  Where appropriate, we'll also create a To/From label for the outer package.  If your shipment includes containers with screw caps please parafilm or tape the caps so they can't unscrew during transport.

If you are shipping novel chemicals you will also need to fill out our Research Samples Checklist form.

IMPORTANT: Please don’t fill out these pdf forms in your browser window if they pop up there.  They reportedly work better if you save them and fill them out in Adobe. 

NEW: If you are shipping multiple pieces of supplies and/or equipment outside of Canada, please fill out this Packing list spreadsheet template. 

Before shipping please check with the appropriate regulator agencies with regards to required permits as permits and other forms are sometimes required and sometimes must be completed by the recipient. Please be aware that it takes time to arrange permits for certain items (e.g. biological substances) and that there are limitations on what is allowed into a country or onto a plane.

Prior to shipping radioactive materials, please contact . You may need to work through us to contact a Hazmat contractor.

Shipments to the USA

Chemical shipments to the US require a Toxic Substance Control Act (TSCA) form. The negative certification box can be checked as long as your shipment is only for research purposes, as research samples are exempt. For more information visit the US Environmental Protection Agency site.

Useful Contacts

Customs and Brokerage

Stephen Wylie, UVic Purchasing, 250-415-6873

FedEx Shipping Questions

FedEx Customer Service, 1-800-463-3339

General help with Import/Export Permits

UVic OHSE, 250-721-8971

Animal and Plant Shipments to USA

US Fish and Wildlife Service, 1‑800‑344‑WILD
Do I need a Permit?:


If you have any questions about shipping we’re always available to help.