Planning your travel to Canada

To be granted entry to Canada, you must meet the travel exemptions to travel to Canada. You will need to ensure you have the appropriate travel and study documentation in hand, have completed the necessary COVID-19 testing and have registered your self-isolation plans.

Documentation requirements

Students may not travel to Canada for their studies without the necessary documentation. Please ensure you have the following valid (i.e. non-expired) documents:

  • Passport, or other accepted travel document
  • Temporary resident visa or electronic travel authorization (if required)
  • Study permit or letter of introduction that shows you are approved for a study permit. An approval-in-principle is not sufficient for travel.
  • A valid letter of acceptance (This is called a study permit information letter and was issued by UVic). If your study permit information letter has expired, you should request for another one through UVic Online Tools > Online Request Forms. Please note that this letter takes multiple business days to process, so you will want to plan to submit the request for this letter accordingly, based on your travel plans.
  • Verification of enrolment (VOE) at the University of Victoria. As soon as you have course registration with UVic, you will have access to your term-by-term VOE through UVic Online Tools > Online Request Forms.

As well as ensure:

Travel arrangements

Do not make travel arrangements until you have been approved for a study permit by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. Once your have been approved, ensure you:

  1. Follow the appropriate checklist on the Government of Canada website when making arrangements as requirements may vary depending on your method of travel to Canada. For more information about self-isolation (quarantine) plan and COVID-19 testing requirements, visit the self-isolation section of our office website.
  2. Arrange for appropriate travel insurance, as circumstances and restrictions may change.
  3. Ensure you have appropriate health insurance in place. New students are automatically covered for their first term of registration by the plan. Returning students should contact International Centre for Students with questions.
  4. Register your self-isolation plans prior to departure.