In the Know: Contacting IRCC

UVic Global Community Newsletter: October 25, 2021

In the Know: Advice for International Students is a section of the UVic Global Community Newsletter that includes valuable information for undergraduate and graduate international students in the following categories: degree-seeking, incoming exchange, and incoming study abroad/visiting.

How can I contact IRCC?

It is very likely that, at some point during your international student experience, you will have questions about your temporary resident status in Canada.

The first thing to do whenever you have these questions is to consult the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website, where you will find information, instructions, and application forms. The IRCC Help Centre also has answers to many frequently asked questions.

If you do not find the answers to your questions on the IRCC website, please contact  International Centre for Students (ICS).

Sometimes, even after consulting the IRCC website, and visiting or contacting ISS, it is necessary to contact IRCC directly. As you may already know, this can be challenging. Case processing centres and other IRCC offices inside Canada are not open to the public. The same is true for most visa offices outside Canada.

Even so, it IS possible to contact IRCC. Consider the options below and choose the most effective strategy for your situation.

When communicating with IRCC, it is important to clearly explain your situation and provide all relevant details. Otherwise, you may receive information that is not accurate.

IRCC Client Support Centre - By Phone

The Client Support Centre is an option when you are located inside Canada.

Client Support Centre agents are available Monday to Friday, between 8:00am and 4:00pm your local time. They are not available on weekends or statutory holidays.

The best times to try contacting an agent are promptly at 8:00am or between 3:00pm and 4:00pm.

Dial 1-888-242-2100. After the recorded introduction, you will be asked to choose a menu option. Navigate through the options by pressing  3, then 4 and then 0.

When the Client Support Centre is experiencing a high volume of calls, and no agents are available, your call will be disconnected. Unfortunately, you will not be put on hold to wait for the next available agent. The best strategy is to keep calling until you get through to an agent.

When you do get through to an agent, always make note of the date and time, the agent's name and identification number, and the exact information they provide.

IRCC Web Form

Visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website to:

  • ask about an application, including a submitted application that has passed the normal processing times
  • ask a general question about a program or service
  • give new information about your application
  • request expedited processing for a submitted application
  • change your contact information
  • add, change or remove a representative
  • report a technical problem
  • give feedback on IRCC services

Note: If you experience a technical problem while you are inside your IRCC account, it is better to use the "Report a Technical Issue" button at the top of your screen rather than the IRCC Web Form.


Many visa offices located outside Canada have a general email address, but we would recommend using the IRCC Web Form as a more reliable option for contacting IRCC.

Questions about temporary resident visa (TRV) applications submitted within Canada can be sent by email to

When sending an email to IRCC, include the following information:

  • surname and given names exactly as they appears on your passport
  • date of birth
  • country of birth
  • Unique Client Identifier (UCI) or Client ID that appears on your study permit, work permit, or visitor record
  • date your application was submitted
  • application number, if applicable
  • others details that are relevant to your situation

Visa Application Centres

Visa Application Centres (VACs) are an excellent resource when you are outside Canada.

Managed by private companies, VACs have been authorized by IRCC to provide their services for a fee.

  • securely send your application and passport to the visa office
  • securely return passport and decision documents
  • are official locations to give your biometrics
  • are located around the world
  • speak local languages

Search for the closest VAC and visit their website for contact information.

Authorized Immigration Representatives

Lawyers, paralegals, and immigration consultants are allowed to provide immigration advice for a fee, as long as they are members in good standing of the designated body responsible for regulating their profession.

Learn more about using a paid authorized immigration representative.

Please visit or contact International Centre for Students (ICS) whenever you have questions about your temporary resident status in Canada.

Helpful IRCC Links

Want to know what else is going on? Join the to receive regular updates about opportunities and events.