In the Know: Thinking about applying for permanent residency in Canada?

UVic Global Community Newsletter: March 15, 2021

In the Know: Advice for International Students is a section of the UVic Global Community Newsletter that includes valuable information and important dates for undergraduate and graduate international students in the following categories: degree-seeking, incoming exchange, and incoming study abroad.

Canada is ranked as one of the best countries to live in the world. It is possible that after having studied, lived and worked in Canada, you want to stay in Canada permanently. There are several pathways to immigrate to Canada. Depending on your qualifications, you may be eligible to apply for permanent residency in Canada now or in the future.

Study, work and stay in Canada

As a temporary resident in Canada, the length of your stay is usually determined by a Canadian immigration document (e.g., study permit, work permit, visitor record).

As an international student, you are expected to be compliant with the conditions imposed by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for the whole duration of your studies in Canada. You must plan to either leave Canada before your study permit becomes invalid or apply for a study permit extension if you need more time to complete your program at UVic. We strongly recommend that you extend your study permit at least 120 days before it expires for the continuity of your BC MSP coverage.

If you want to stay in Canada temporarily to work after graduation, you may be eligible for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP).

If getting a PGWP is not an option for your, you may still be eligible for other work permits.

For more information about your immigration documents, refer to our office website - Living in Canada pages. If you have questions about your study permit conditions or need guidance to extend your student immigration documents, you can contact the International Student Advising (ISA) team.

Can I get advice on permanent residency in Canada from International Student Advisers at UVic?

Our advisers cannot answer questions related to permanent residency applications or assess eligible programs as those questions are out of our scope of practice.

At UVic, International Student Advisers (ISAs) can only advise on a limited range of immigration issues for UVic international students and their accompanying family members. We are specialized in international student programs (e.g., study permits, co-op work permits, post-graduation work permits).

Pathways to Permanent Residency Information Session

On March 5, 2021, representatives from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and BC’s Provincial Nominee Program (BC PNP) gave a presentation to UVic international students with a focus on an overview of the federal and BC PNP  programs as well as the Express Entry system to permanent residency. Below you can find a copy of both IRCC and BC PNP presentation slides:

For COVID-19 updates, you can visit:

Please note: Legislation and procedures related to immigration change frequently, so always refer directly to the IRCC website and the BC PNP website for the most up-to-date information and instructions.

Here are some additional resources available to you:

Upcoming Events:

 March 24Post-Graduation Work Permit Information Session

Want to know what else is going on? Join the to receive regular updates about opportunities and events.