University Systems help centre
UVic offers two secure wireless networks for students, faculty, and staff: UVic and eduroam. UVicStart is a limited-function network available in order to configure access to the secure UVic wireless network. UVic is recommended for all users, especially regular or heavy users. In order to connect to any UVic wireless network, you must have
- a wireless laptop, PDA, or other wireless device; and
- a NetLink ID and password.
If your device has a button or switch that will enable wireless, ensure that it is turned on.
UVicStart - Limited-function connection for configuring UVic (secure) wireless network
Upon connecting to UVicStart, you will be provided with instructions on how to connect your device to the UVic wireless network.
For security reasons, University Systems highly recommends connecting to the UVic network, the secure wireless network on campus. This requires a one-time configuration. Unlike UVic Open, you will not be prompted to enter your NetLink ID and password every time you open a web browser. To configure UVic, select your platform:
|Windows 7/Vista||OS X 10.5 and newer||iPhone or iTouch|
|Windows XP||Android version 4|
The eduroam collaborative network allows students, faculty, and staff access to wireless services at cooperating universities without obtaining a guest account. Visiting users from other participating institutions can login to the wireless network using the same credentials they would at their home institution. To configure eduroam, select your platform:
|Windows 7||OS X 10.5 and newer||HTC phone|
- Connect to eduroam: HTC mobile device
- Connect to eduroam: Mac OS X 10.5 or newer
- Connect to eduroam: Windows 7
- Connect to eduroam: Windows Vista
- Connect to eduroam: Windows XP
- Connect to UVic: Android version 4 and newer
- Connect to UVic: iPhone or iPod Touch
- Connect to UVic: OS 10.5 and newer
- Connect to UVic: Windows 7 and Vista
- Connect to UVic: Windows XP
- Connect to UVic Wireless: eduroam
- Wireless Internet