University Systems help centre
UVic offers three wireless networks for students, faculty, and staff: UVic, UVic Open, and eduroam. UVic is recommended for all users, especially regular or heavy users. In order to connect to any UVic wireless network, you must have
- a wireless laptop, PDA, or other wireless device; and
- a NetLink ID and password.
If your device has a button or switch that will enable wireless, ensure that it is turned on.
For security reasons, University Systems highly recommends connecting to the UVic network, the secure wireless network on campus. This requires a one-time configuration. Unlike UVic Open, you will not be prompted to enter your NetLink ID and password every time you open a web browser. To configure UVic, select your platform:
|Windows 7/Vista||OS X 10.5 and newer||iPhone or iTouch|
|Windows XP||Android version 4|
Unless you have configured UVic, your device will probably connect automatically to UVic Open when you enter a wireless coverage area on campus. UVic Open is an unsecured network that you must login to each time you open a web browser.
- To connect to UVic Open, go to an area on campus with wireless coverage.
- When you open your web browser, you will be directed to the UVic Public Network Access login page.
- Enter your NetLink ID and password.
- You should now be connected. If you close your browser, or if your session times out, you will have to re-enter your credentials.
The eduroam collaborative network allows students, faculty, and staff access to wireless services at cooperating universities without obtaining a guest account. Visiting users from other participating institutions can login to the wireless network using the same credentials they would at their home institution. To configure eduroam, select your platform:
|Windows 7||OS X 10.5 and newer||HTC phone|
- Connect to eduroam: HTC mobile device
- Connect to eduroam: Mac OS X 10.5 or newer
- Connect to eduroam: Windows 7
- Connect to eduroam: Windows Vista
- Connect to eduroam: Windows XP
- Connect to UVic: Android version 4 and newer
- Connect to UVic: iPhone or iPod Touch
- Connect to UVic: OS 10.5 and newer
- Connect to UVic: Windows 7 and Vista
- Connect to UVic: Windows XP
- Connect to UVic Wireless: eduroam
- Wireless Internet