University Systems help centre
Connect to eduroam: Windows Vista
After the initial configuration, you should automatically connect to eduroam when you are using UVic's wireless network.
- Before you start this procedure, ensure the following:
- Your wireless card and its drivers have been installed and you have rebooted your laptop since the installation.
- Your laptop is powered on and booted up.
- You are in an area with wireless coverage.
- Your computer's wireless switch or button is turned on.
- You have a NetLink ID and password.
- You are using Windows, not a third-party application, to manage your wireless connections.
- Download the security certificate by right clicking thawte Primary Root CA and saving the thawte.cer file to your computer. Once the file is saved to your computer, locate the file, double click on it, select Install Certificate..., and follow the Certificate Import Wizard instructions.
- Open your Start menu and click on Connect To.
- Click Set up a connection or network.
- Click Manually connect to a wireless network.
- Enter the following information:
- Network name: eduroam (case sensitive)
- Security type: WPA2-Enterprise
- Encryption type: AES
- Security Key/Passphrase: (leave blank)
Ensure both checkboxes are selected (by default, the second box is not). Click Next.
- Click Change connection settings. For now, ignore the pop-up window in the bottom-right corner.
On the Connection tab, ensure the Connect to a more preferred network if available checkbox is not checked.
- Click the Security tab. Ensure the authentication method is PEAP. Then click Settings.
- Check the box beside thawte Primary Root CA in the list of Trusted Root Certification Authorities. At the bottom of the dialogue, ensure that the Authentication Method is Secured password (EAP-MSCHAP v2). Click Configure.
- Deselect the checkbox for Automatically use my Windows logon... and click OK.
- If prompted to Validate Server Certificate, click OK.
- Close the remaining windows. In the bottom-right corner of your screen, you should see a small window pop up informing you that Additional information is required to connect to eduroam. Click on it to provide additional information.
- In the User name field, enter your personal NetLink ID followed by @uvic.ca. Enter your NetLink ID password in the Password field. Click OK.
- You should now be connected to the eduroam secure wireless network.
- Connect to eduroam: HTC mobile device
- Connect to eduroam: Mac OS X 10.5 or newer
- Connect to eduroam: Windows 7
- Connect to eduroam: Windows Vista
- Connect to eduroam: Windows XP
- Connect to UVic: Android version 4 and newer
- Connect to UVic: iPhone or iPod Touch
- Connect to UVic: OS 10.5 and newer
- Connect to UVic: Windows 7 and Vista
- Connect to UVic wireless
- Connect to UVic Wireless: eduroam
- Windows 10 wireless set-up instructions
- Windows 8.1 wireless set-up instructions
- Wireless Internet