Skip to main content


Every year, UVic employs many graduate students to assist with teaching, research and lab instruction.

Teaching assistants (TA)

Teaching assistants (TAs) are hired by their academic units to assist with teaching and grading courses. These are unionized, hourly positions.

Research assistants (RA)

Research assistants (RAs) are hired by faculty members to help with their research. These roles are sometimes called scientific assistants or laboratory instructors.

RA salaries come from faculty members’ research grants. Because of this, your RA hours, salary and other details are worked out between you and the faculty member.


Learning and Teaching Support and Innovation (LTSI) offers useful information, training and support for TAs.

Contact your graduate adviser or your supervisor for more information about TA and RA positions.

This website stores cookies on your computer. These cookies are used to collect information about how you interact with our website and allow us to remember you. We use this information in order to improve and customize your browsing experience and for analytics and metrics about our visitors both on this website and other media. To find out more about the cookies we use, see our Privacy Policy.