Coaching studies (MEd)

This degree provides you with a program of studies with a particular focus on coaching science.


This is a summer-based program and is largely course-based. Twelve units of required courses are completed during July/August at UVic over two consecutive summers. There is no requirement to be on-campus for any of the other program requirements. Typical program length is 2–2 ½ years; inclusive of the two 4-month work terms

Program sequence

The following is the list of required courses and the recommended sequence for the Coaching Studies program as outlined in the current University Calendar. If there are any discrepancies between this website and the Calendar, the Calendar will take precedence.

Program requirements: Total = 18 units + 2 work terms (6.0 units)

Program components Units
Required coursework within EPHE   12.0
EPHE 570 Skill Acquisition in Physical Education and Sport (1.5)
EPHE 572 Physiology in Physical Education and Sport (1.5)
EPHE 574 Administration of Physical Education, Recreation and Sport (1.5)
EPHE 575 Applied Sport Psychology (1.5)
EPHE 576 Teaching and Coaching Effectiveness in Physical Education and Sport (1.5)
EPHE 577 Research Methods and Techniques in Coaching Studies (1.5)
EPHE 578 Biomechanics (1.5)
EPHE 579 Current Issues in Coaching Studies (1.5)
Electives: Complete two electives to support your program of study 3.0
Project: All MEd in Coaching Studies students complete a project (EPHE 598) 3.0
Work terms: Complete two cooperative work terms (typically coaching; 6.0 EPHE 801 and 802) 6.0

Note: Electives may be chosen from courses in the School of Exercise Science, Physical and Health Education, other departments at the University of Victoria, or from other universities to complement your interests in coaching studies.

How to apply

To apply for admission to the Coaching Studies program you should vist the Graduate Admissions and Record website and follow the instructions on how to apply to become a UVic graduate student.

For admission to the MEd in Coaching Studies the following documents will need to be submitted to Graduate Admissions and Records:

  • Assessment reports from two referees who can speak to your ability to undertake advanced academic studies
  • Your academic transcripts
  • A resume of your coaching experience
  • Copies of your coaching certificates
  • Evidence of English language proficiency (if relevant, see the Faculty of Graduate Studie website for more information about English Language profeciency)

Applications for the Coaching Studies program must be received by March 15 for admission to the program in the month of July immediately follows.

If you require assistance with the Coaching Studies application process, please contact the

Co-operative education and work terms

The Coaching Studies program is a mandatory co-op program.

When you accepted into the Coaching Studies program you will be automatically enrolled in co-op.

Co-op experiences in this program will help you to apply classroom concepts in the workplace, by coaching athletes and reflecting on what makes for "effective" coaching behaviour.

In the Coaching Studies program you will complete two work terms.

The brochure and EPHE co-op webpage might help to answer a range of co-op questions. You can obtain more specific information about co-operative education associated with the Coaching Studies program from the EPHE co-operative education coordinator

Conference and travel grants

Student conference awards

Undergraduate and master's students may be awarded up to $150 by the School of Exercise Science, Physical and Health Education to support conference presentations and attendance. PhD students may be awarded up to $250.

Examples of eligible events:

  • BC Recreation and Parks Association Conference (attendance by BCRPA award recipient)
  • Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology Conference (attendance by CSEP award recipient)
  • Physical and Health Education Canada Student Leadership Conference (attendance by PHE Award recipient)
  • Quality Daily PE Provincial Conference


  • You can be awarded $150.00 only once per degree as an undergrad or master's student or $250 twice as a PhD student.
  • You must be the first author on a paper or poster presentation related to your research or be attending a conference as an award recipient.
  • You must be a registered UVic student at the time of acceptance of your conference presentation.
  • Your Honours supervisor or program coordinator for undergrad students, or the graduate adviser for grad students, must approve and support your application.
  • A preliminary abstract and proof of acceptance of your abstract must be submitted with your application.
  • Award recipients may be asked to present their papers or posters to fellow students.

How to apply:

  1. Complete the application form.
  2. Get the support of the Honours supervisor, program coordinator, or grad adviser.
  3. Attach a copy of your abstract and confirmation of acceptance from the conference organizers.
  4. Submit the signed form to the EPHE Office, McKinnon Room 120, to the attention of the Administrative Officer (you will be notified of the result by email).

Other travel gants

For details, deadlines and application forms:

Graduate study fees

The fees for graduate students are very different than those assessed for undergraduate study.

As a master's student continuous registration is required into each and every term until you graduate. Students are charged a fee for every term they are registered in a degree program. Fees are paid by installments (not per course). For a master's program a mandatory minimum total of 5 full fee installments are required. Co-op fees are additional. After you have paid five full fee installments and have not finished your program, a sixth full fee installment will be assessed. For subsequent terms thereafter a smaller re-registration fee will be assessed each term until you graduate. For more information on fees visit the on-line Graduate Calendar and the current tuition schedule.

If you have questions about tuition or student fees, please contact the Graduate Admissions and Records Office.