Photocopies may be used only for the purposes of research and private study, and must not be used for any other purpose without the express authorization of the copyright owner. Responsibility regarding questions of copyright that may arise in the use of such copies is assumed by the recipient. Most of the material in Special Collections may be photocopied after receiving permission from a Special Collections staff member. Many books are vulnerable to damage through photocopying, and permission will be denied if it is thought that their condition might deteriorate if photocopying were allowed. Examples of books which may never be photocopied:
- Books which are larger than the photocopier platen.
- Books with brittle or torn pages. The pages will deteriorate further if photocopying is permitted.
- Books with fold-outs larger than their covers. Pages that extend beyond the edges of a book are especially vulnerable to tearing.
- Books with historically important or fine bindings.
- Perfect bound books. Books which are glued rather than sewn, such as paperbacks, cannot take the strain of being opened far enough for photocopying without breaking the spine.
- Tightly bound books.
- Very heavy books. Heavy books are difficult to handle and a strain is put on the binding in trying to obtain a copy.
Archival material must be photocopied by Special Collections staff. Some archival collections may not be copied.
Photocopying fees *
- $0.12 per 8x10 page, self-serve photocopying.
- $15.00 for 1-30 pages.
- $30.00 for 31-60 pages.
- $50.00 for 61-100 pages.
- $0.50 per page for 100+ pages.
Only some of the material in Special Collections can be scanned on our flatbed scanner. For reasons of copyright restriction or archival preservation some items may not be scanned. Where material can be reproduced, images will be scanned in 24-bit colour at 400 DPI and saved in TIFF format and delivered on CD unless requested otherwise. The scanner platen maximum size is 12x17 inches for flat, unbound material. For bound material, the scanner platen maximum size is 8x15 inches. Larger pieces will be scanned as overlapping images and delivered to patrons 'as-is' for them to combine.
Scanning fees *
- $20.00 for 1-10 scans.
- $40.00 for 11-20 scans.
- $60.00 for 21-30 scans.
- $2.00 per scan for 30+ scans.
In addition to the copying fees, there are licensing fees for reproductions produced by Special Collections of UVic copyright or public domain materials. There is no publication fee when photographs, scans or digital images appear online or in a publication of a personal, private, non-profit or academic nature. This includes historical articles in local newspapers. For commercial publications, namely, printed materials such as books or serials, posters, postcards, calendars, etc., the fees vary from $25.00 to $200.00 depending on the print run and whether the image is used as an inside illustration or whether the image is the principal or cover image. Broadcast licensing fees for films, television, videos are as follows: local productions or educational documentaries are $50.00 per image; national or international productions fees are $100.00. The usual term for broadcast rights is a minimum of five and maximum of ten years.
A digital camera may be used to photograph Special Collections material that otherwise may not be reproduced due to conservation concerns. Please ask for permission before photographing any material. Once permission has been given, follow these guidelines:
- Hold bound materials open using the paperweight provided.
- Manuscripts, maps and broadsheets must be kept flat on the table.
- Turn off the flash on the camera.
- Use light available in the reading room only.
Price list (March 2008) *
Type of reproduction
|1-10 scans, delivered on CD||$20.00|
|11-20 scans, delivered on CD||$40.00|
|21-30 scans, delivered on CD||$60.00|
|30+ scans, delivered on CD||$2.00 per scan|
|8x10 self-serve photocopying||$0.12 per page|
|1-30 pages, staff photocopying||$15.00|
|31-60 pages, staff photocopying||$30.00|
|61-100 pages, staff photocopying||$50.00|
|100+ pages, staff photocopying||$0.50 per page|
|60 or 90 minute cassette duplication||$5.00 per cassette|
|MP3 files delivered on compact disc||$5.00 per compact disc|
* Prices and availability are subject to change at any time. Prices do not include any applicable taxes or postage and handling fees. All fees are payable in advance.