Managing your online name

When you apply to study or work at UVic, your name is recorded in our central information systems as three components - first name, middle name and surname. This name normally matches what appears on your government-issued ID and is your name of record at UVic.

  1. If you wish to be referred to as something other than your name of record, you can specify a preferred first name in Online tools under the Your profile drop-down menu, which will appear along with your surname in learning systems (e.g. Brightspace) and on class lists. Many systems will reflect the change immediately but some may take as long as 24 hours. If you do not specify a preferred first name, your first name and surname from your name of record will be displayed.

  2. Your email address may also appear along with your name in some systems. You can specify a preferred email address in Online tools under the Your profile drop-down menuIf you don’t wish to use the personal (non-UVic) email address that you provided during the application or admissions process, you can update this to your UVic email address, which is in the format of <NetLink ID> 

  3. Your NetLink ID, is used for sign-on in learning systems and may appear in some learning systems as your name, and also forms the first part of your UVic email address. If you wish to change your NetLink ID (e.g. due to a name change) please contact the Computer Help Desk at 250-721-7687 or Many systems will reflect the change immediately but some may take as long as 2-3 business days, and some systems such as your mobile device will have to be updated manually. Note that because your NetLink ID is used as a key in integrations between systems, and there may be some disruption in services following a NetLink ID change. It’s important to consider the timing of the change (e.g., it would not be recommended to change your NetLink ID right before an online exam).

    There is no charge to change your NetLink ID with a valid reason.  Repeated requests may incur a cost.  Requests must abide by university policies.  We reserve the right to refuse requests if they will adversely impact the integrity of our systems.

  4. If you wish to update your name of record (a.k.a legal name), please contact the appropriate office below with official name change documentation (e.g. birth certificate, passport, or other government-issued photo ID):

If you have an extenuating circumstance which isn’t covered above and requires special consideration, please contact the Manager of Student Support Services in the Office of the Registrar (OREG) at 250-721-8117 or to discuss potential solutions.