Graduate FAQ

How do I apply to the graduate program in anthropology?

To apply for the MA and PhD programs all applications and supporting documents are sent directly to Graduate Admissions through the online application process. Applications are first reviewed by the Faculty of Graduate Studies after which they are forwarded to the Anthropology Department for decision.

For information pertaining to admissions, please refer to the Graduate Studies checklists.

For more on how to apply see here.

What types of graduate research are being conducted in the Department of Anthropology?

Our department members are engaged in exciting and relevant research - locally, regionally and internationally, and across anthropology's sub-fields of archaeology, biological and cultural anthropology.

A distinctive feature of our research program and graduate training is our concern to create thematic integration across anthropology's traditional sub-fields.

This is an innovative and exciting approach that builds on anthropology's long-standing holistic approach at a time when fracturing along sub-disciplinary lines is becoming the norm.

We are among a small number of anthropology departments in North America actively fostering meaningful connections and dialogue among anthropology's traditional sub-fields.

Several thematic foci link faculty and students across traditional sub-field boundaries. These include:

Do I need an undergraduate degree in anthropology to do a master's degree?

If you're applying to our graduate programs, we expect you to have passed undergraduate courses equivalent to those in University of Victoria undergraduate anthropology major program.

If you don't have this equivalent, you may be required to take all or some of the appropriate courses to satisfy the major requirements before completing your graduate degree.

Please contact your potential supervisor and let him/her know - it would the supervisor, graduate advisor and the Graduate Admissions committee who would make that decision.

To correct any deficiencies in an applicant's undergraduate program, the Graduate Admissions committee may increase the number of units required.

For example, students without previous training in one or more of the anthropological sub-disciplines (biological, archaeological, sociocultural) will be required to take one or more upper level undergraduate courses in those subdisciplines.

Do I need a master's degree in anthropology to do a PhD in anthropology?

We normally expect applicants to have completed a BA or BSc and master's degree in anthropology (thesis or non-thesis) from a recognized academic institution.

We assess students on a case-by-case basis at admission. If you're accepted, we'll advise you of suggested or required pre- or co-requisite course requirements deemed necessary by the admissions committee.

If our graduate committee feels it necessary for an incoming student to make up a deficiency, they will be required to register in no more than 3.0 units (two one-semester courses) of pre-requisite coursework.

Please contact your potential supervisor and let him/her know - it would the supervisor, graduate advisor and the Graduate Admissions committee who would make that decision.

What is the deadline for applying?

January 15 of every year.

Are there minimum GPA requirements for admission into the graduate program?

You should have at least a 6.0 GPA in the last two years of full time undergraduate work to be considered for acceptance to the MA program. Your grades in anthropology courses in the last two years of undergraduate study should average 7.0 or A-.

Applicants to the PhD program will be expected to have achieved a minimum GPA of 7.0 (or equivalent) in their master's program.

What are the tuition fees?

See the UVic Registrar's site for tuition and fees.

What types of financial assistance is available?

We have a limited amount of funding available to support graduate students, including fellowships, graduate awards and teaching assistantships. This funding is awarded on a competitive basis.

The graduate committee will inform incoming students of the funding that they have been awarded.

Offers of funding are dependent on multiple factors and may not be made at the same time as admission. Some incoming students may not receive any offer of funding.

For more information please see the funding webpage.

What courses are required in the MA and PhD programs?

Please see the University Calendar for course requirements.

Can I transfer graduate coursework from another institution to UVic?

If you are looking to transfer from another institution’s graduate program, you’ll apply through our regular admissions channels.

If accepted, you may be given transfer credit for coursework at your original university, according to regulations of the Faculty of Graduate Studies. This is determined on a case-by-case basis.

How are graduate admissions determined?

All applications are first reviewed by Graduate Admissions to determine whether applicants meet university entrance requirements. Applications are then forwarded to the department where they are reviewed by our graduate committee.

Admissions decisions are based on a variety of factors:

  • A student’s scholarly promise as evidenced by transcripts.
  • Statement of interest, letters of recommendations and written work.
  • The availability of faculty to supervise the applicant’s research.
  • The number of students currently enrolled in the program.

When and how will I know whether I've been admitted?

The graduate committee meets mid-February to assess applications.

This process is ongoing through the month of February, and students are notified of their acceptance decision by the end of February or earlier.