Transfer students

You're new to UVic but not to post-secondary education. Whether you've completed a course or two or a full two years (or more) of transferable university-level coursework, you’ll experience some distinct advantages and challenges as you navigate your new institution.

We know you've got lots of choices for post-secondary education, and we're happy that you've decided to join the UVic community. We're here to help make the transition smooth for you.

Academic advisers can

  • help you review your assigned transfer credit, answer your questions about it and assist with how to fit it into your UVic program,
  • update your degree evaluation (CAPP report) to incorporate transfer courses to satisfy minimum grade requirements, and
  • help you to understand how transfer credit (level and partial credit) is assigned.
Please note: advisers can’t register you in (or drop you from) courses—you'll have to do this yourself. For more information on our registration system, as well as guided tutorials, see UVic's course registration and course timetable pages.

Make sure you've met the conditions of your admission to UVic

If you had any courses (even one!) in progress when you applied to UVic, we will need to see the final grade(s). Your admission to UVic will be conditional, meaning that you need to meet the grade minimum specified in your acceptance letter in order to keep your admission.

Arrange for your previous college or university to send copies of your final, official transcripts to the UVic Undergraduate admissions office as soon as they have posted your grades. This step is part of completing your conditions of admission and leads to the assignment of your transfer credit. Once your transfer credit has been updated, advising staff will be able to provide you with accurate information for program planning. This also means that your UVic student record will accurately reflect your completed prerequisites.

Predict, review and check your assigned transfer credit

You can plan better if you know what's coming up. This is especially true for transfer credit. Take a few minutes and work through our transfer credit worksheet so that you can do some course planning now and some double-checking once your transfer credit is assessed and assigned. You might find our Transfer Credit Worksheet helpful.

Once you've received a statement of your transfer credit by email from UVic Undergraduate Admissions, you need to read it carefully. It is important that you review your transfer credit online against your summary statement. Make sure that all courses from your summary are on your record, that there is no duplication or incorrect credit and that nothing has been missed. This is also a great way to re-familiarize yourself with the credit that you've been assigned.

If you find a discrepancy, you can follow up with the Admissions office or come to the Academic Advising Centre and we can help you determine if there is an issue. To assist you as you review your statement, you can use the roadmap we've created: How to read your transfer credit statement.

You may notice that your transfer credit isn't yet showing on your academic record. You can access this record in online tools by navigating to More student services and then selecting Transfer credit summary under Grades & records. Check your account every week or so—it shouldn't be too long before you see your transfer credit appear.

Review Uvic's academic writing requirement

All UVic students must satisfy the academic writing requirement (AWR). Take another look at your transfer credit statement. If you see a course that has transferred as any of the following, you've satisfied the requirement:

  • AWR-designated level credit
  • ATWP 135 (or the former ENGL 135)
  • ENGL 146
  • ENGL 147
  • ENGR 110

If you don't have any of these (even if you have other English courses), you'll need to complete one of ATWP 135, ENGL 146, or ENGL 147 at UVic. There are a few exceptions to this, so carefully review the academic writing requirement to see if you've satisfied the AWR in another way.

Make sure you've registered for both terms

You will receive an email with your registration date. Students admitted for fall term should register for fall (September to December) and spring courses (January to April) at the same time. While planning your courses, carefully review the choose & plan your program section of our website as soon as you can. You will likely find our program planning worksheets particularly helpful.

This is worth repeating, especially for transfer students: at UVic, we register for our September-December and January-April courses at the same time!

Courses do become full, so don’t wait until November or December to register for January courses. Register for your all of your Winter Session courses at the same time and then make changes as needed. Be mindful of the important dates for the deadlines to add or drop courses.

How will I know which transfer credit(s) I have received?

As a new UVic student who has completed coursework at another post-secondary institution, you'll receive communication from our Admissions office regarding your transfer credit. You'll get an email with a summary of all the courses that you've completed and details on which UVic credits they've transferred as.

Be sure to keep this email. You'll need to refer back to it for registration. We recommend that you compare the statement you receive from Admissions to the transfer credit that gets uploaded onto your official record. You can access this record in online tools by navigating to Student Services and then selecting Transfer credit summary.

Please note: there may be a delay between when you get the email statement and when the credit appears on your record.

How do I use my transfer credit summary when registering for classes?

Your transfer credit summary tells you which UVic courses you have received (or will receive) credit for. For the purposes of course duplication or mutual exclusivity, it is as if you actually took those UVic courses—this means that you must not register for courses for which you have received transfer credit. You won't receive credit twice for the same course (unless it is specifically noted as a course available for credit more than once).

There are, however, good reasons why you might choose to take a course at UVic that you've received transfer credit for. One such reason would be that the grade you received when you took the course wasn't quite high enough to meet a UVic program requirement. See the example below.

Carmen is planning to complete a BSc Major in Economics at UVic. She recently transferred from UBC-Okanagan, where she completed their ECON 205 course. Her grade in ECON 205 was a D. Carmen was granted transfer credit for this course, which transferred as UVic ECON 204.

However, the Economics major program requires a minimum grade of C in ECON 204. For this reason, Carmen will need to repeat ECON 204 at UVic. She won't get credit for it a second time, but her new grade can be used to satisfy the grade requirement.

We recommend that you carefully review your transfer credit summary as you build your course list for the coming session. Double check the course names and numbers to be certain that you don't inadvertently register for a course you've already received credit for. If you haven't received all of your transfer credit yet, you should make your best guess based on course descriptions. Be ready to change your registration as soon as updated transfer credit information is available.

I’ve been accepted to UVic but my transfer credits are still being reviewed. How do I know what courses to register in?

It’s a good idea to choose courses you know you haven’t already taken or courses which are more advanced than those for which you expect to receive transfer credit. If you are unsure whether to register for a required course, you can do so, but remember to drop it if you receive transfer credit for the same course.

If you need help with this step, please contact the Academic Advising Centre—we are happy to go over your transfer credit with you.

Some of my transferred courses have an "L" in the course number (10L, 20L, etc.). What does this mean?

The "L" means "level credit". The course you took at the other institution was given generic transfer credit in a particular area at a particular year level, but the content wasn’t similar enough to match a specific UVic course. So, for example, HIST 10L (1.5) means a 100-level History course worth 1.5 units; ENGL 20L (3.0) means a 200-level English course worth 3.0 units.

Level credits can be used in your program in a couple of ways, as outlined in the examples below.

Example 1: required courses from a particular subject area and/or year-level

Rosa received 3.0 units of History 20L (200-level) from the coursework she had completed at Langara College.  She is planning to complete a BA Major in Anthropology with a Minor in History at UVic. In reviewing the History minor, Rosa notes that she is required to complete 6.0 units of 100- and 200-level History coursework. She can use her 3.0 units of History 20L towards this requirement.

Example 2: electives

Rosa also received 3.0 units of French 10L from her work at Langara.  There is no French specifically required in the BA Major in Anthropology, Minor in History, but Rosa will need 22.5 units of electives to complete her minimum 60.0 units for the degree.  Her 3.0 units of French 10L can be used as electives in her degree.

One of the courses for which I received level credit seems very similar in content to a required course in my program. Can I substitute it?

Maybe. If you received level credit for a course but feel that the content was close enough to a UVic course such that you would be repeating a substantial amount of work, do the following: contact the undergraduate academic unit adviser for your program to discuss whether you might be allowed to substitute the transfer credit for the required course (e.g., BIOL 100-level in lieu of BIOL 190A). However, if you decide to take the required course (e.g., BIOL 190A) it will count as a credit course and will not be considered a duplicate.

I have a course with a notation of "PC". What does that mean?

P.C stands for partial credit, which is usually awarded if you have taken a course that would transfer to one half of a full-year course at UVic. See the example below.

Sean completed History 230 at Camosun College but transferred to UVic before completing History 232. If he had taken both HIST 230 and 232, he would have received transfer credit for HIST 210, a full-year, 3.0-unit course. Since Sean has only completed half of the coursework required for UVic's History 210, he will receive History 210 1.5 units (p.c.).

If you received partial credit for a course that is required for your program, you will need to contact the academic unit adviser for your program. Discuss with them which of the following outcomes applies for you: whether you are required to take the full-year course and lose credit for the partial transfer credit you received upon admission; or whether you may be allowed to substitute another course for the second half of the year-long course.

If you have completed two partial-credit courses which should give you transfer credit for a full-year UVic course, but your transfer credit sheet does not show this, it may just need to be updated on your record. Your admissions officer can assist you with this situation. (Their contact information will be on your admission email).

I’ve been allowed to substitute one of my transfer credits for a required course, but now the registration system says I don’t have the prerequisite. What do I do?

When a substitution is granted, there are two steps for you to review.

  1. Confirm that the Academic Advising Centre (AAC) has received notification of the substitution from your Academic Unit Adviser directly. If the AAC doesn't get this information, it won't be input into your CAPP report and will not take effect. A quick email to your unit advisers or the AAC will confirm this if nothing is showing up on your CAPP yet.
  2. If you are granted a substitution for a foundational course which acts as a prerequisite for other courses (e.g., ECON 10L for ECON 103), the registration system will not 'see' the substituted course as the required course. Whenever you register for a course requiring that prerequisite, you'll need to contact the department that offers the course you are registering in and request a prerequisite override. Please provide a copy of your substitution permission each time you make this request and be sure to make the request in advance of your registration date and time.

Complete the following activity to familiarize yourself with foundational prerequisites: take a look at one such foundational course, ECON 103. Now click on a number of the 300-level ECON courses and see how many of them require ECON 103 as a prerequisite.

I have been at my previous institution for more than two years, and have the equivalent of more than 30.0 units of transfer credits. Can I use them all?

To complete an undergraduate degree at UVic, you must complete a minimum of 30 units of coursework at UVic regardless of how many units of transfer credit you have received.

There are also restrictions on the number of upper-level units which can be used in a program: students in a major program must complete 12 of the 15 units of upper-level department coursework at UVic and students in a general program must complete 6 of the 9 units of upper-level department coursework in each of the two general areas.

These UVic minimums are called residency requirements. We are happy to help you understand how they impact you. If you want to find out for sure which of your transfer credit courses count towards program requirements, request an appointment with an academic adviser by phone at 250-721-7567 (ext. 6).