Forms and guidelines

Up-to-date forms and guidelines used by all units within the Office of Research Services are listed below.

External grants and contracts

Internal research grants

Internal research grants

Book/creative work subvention fund

Internal research/creative project grant (IRCPG)

Scholarly conference and artistic performance travel grant 

Research grant in lieu of salary (RGLS)

Animal and human ethics

Research and teaching with animals

To conduct research involving animals, forms and guidelines may be accessed directly through the Research and teaching with animals website.

Human research ethics board (HREB)

If this is your first time conducting research involving humans, we strongly suggest you read through the human research ethics page before completing any of the forms below, as the information on this page will help you assess whether or not you need to apply to the HREB and, if you are required to apply, how to do this and what policies govern research with humans. 

If you have any questions about your application, please contact

BC Ethics Harmonization - Research Ethics BC (REBC)

For health researchers who must obtain multiple ethical clearances from separate BC research ethics boards a streamlined, coordinated system will help eliminate duplication and reduce time while ensuring that ethics obligations are met by researchers and review boards.

Effective January 1, 2019, research ethics applications for all studies that involve UVic and at least one additional BC university ethics board or BC health authority ethics board (including Island Health), must be submitted through the Provincial Research Ethics Platform (PREP), and can no longer be submitted through UVic-RAIS.

Contact us at (250) 472-4545 or if you are not sure which application form applies to your study.


Post-Approval Forms

  • Request for Annual Renewal - required to extend the ethics approval for recruitment and data collection. Use this form only for studies approved through paper-based system.
  • Request for Modification - submit this form before implementing changes to your protocol. Use this form only for studies approved through paper-based system.
  • Notice of Project Completion - submit this form once recruitment and data collection have concluded. Use this form only for studies approved through paper-based system.

Other forms

Templates and samples

Post-doctoral fellows

Grant funded research assistants